BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent an hr. or so observing the snagfest on the Vedder on Sunday. Seems the long line method has taken a new twist with outstanding results. Without putting the exact method on the board, suffice to say it involves a float to get a faster drift on the top water, then marry it to terminal tackles that is kept 6-8 inches of the bottom and moves a lot laterally while being dragged thru a school of fish.
I saw 6-8 coho, several large springs and a chum get hooked with this new method. Most of the fish were chin hooked or flossed with the hook in the outside of the jaw. Seems to me,an awful lot of practice is required to get this method to work, as well as an expert knowledge as to where fish lay in a particular run.but what can a fisheries officer do if the fish are all released in the water?
I saw 15 guys and gals all using similar gear, but two guys caught 90% of the fish over the elapsed time, with this method
No big hooks, no long leaders, just a nice "short float setup" taken to the extreme with precision.
Pretty sad when all that is happening is a rod getting bent...........What next?..............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Checked out the Vedder Crossing bridge area this morning and still the same things going on there today :mad: Not all fish were released in the water, most were dragged 10 - 15' over the rocks. Why can't people release these fish in the water? I know the answer - they can't ID them! Wait for someone else to do that for them. I would love to see a mandatory exam covering regulations, fish ID and proper release methods before one gets a fishing license.

·
Registered
30 Posts
fisherforever said:
Checked out the Vedder Crossing bridge area this morning and still the same things going on there today :mad: Not all fish were released in the water, most were dragged 10 - 15' over the rocks. Why can't people release these fish in the water? I know the answer - they can't ID them! Wait for someone else to do that for them. I would love to see a mandatory exam covering regulations, fish ID and proper release methods before one gets a fishing license.

Or they are just too lazy to hold the rod in one hand and unhook with the other.. they need to drag the fish to easily reachable ground.. so the fish don't flop away ( if u notice the ones dragging the fish to the shore.. are just muscling the fish across the water ).

·
Registered
419 Posts
bring on the test.Will weed out alot of idiots

·
Registered
354 Posts
The fish I saw yesterday on the upper river would have been lucky to be dragged up.This doofus catches a nice coho,grabs it by the gill and heaves it 3'-4' in the air about 20' up on the boulder bar ???He then proceeds to apply the cou de gras via a couple of boot stomps to its head :mad: He finishes off by posing for a hero shot with his seven pounds of freshly ground salmon.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The last thing we need is another bloody test and the inevitable money to go with it. Enough useless regulation! The boater's test didn't do a $#&@$% thing to keep idiots off the water so why would a fishing licence test? You can't teach someone common sense so why try with my money! :wallbash: That feels better :)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Rivahman said:
The last thing we need is another bloody test and the inevitable money to go with it. Enough useless regulation! The boater's test didn't do a $#&@$% thing to keep idiots off the water so why would a fishing licence test? You can't teach someone common sense so why try with my money! :wallbash: That feels better :)
I guess the boating exam didnt do $h!t when its only required for what 14' and shorter crafts? hmmm most jets are 18'+ Why wait years to change things? CHANGE IT NOW!!!! I think a test for a license is a VERY good idea. Then if a CO sees an infraction theres no ifs, ands, or buts about it. They should increase the amounts of the fines too.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
or alot of the CO's should hand out maximum fines and confiscate gear like they are allowed to. I have only seen them hand out the 150$ fines even for fishing without a licence !! what the hell !!! isnt that supposed to be like a 1500$ fine and byebye gear even vehicle if they really want to.

HOOK

test could be a good idea however any idiot can read a book and pass a test by memory

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The test would eliminate the "Oh really" or "Oh, I didn't know that I had to deberb my hook" or ............ Then the CO could just pull out the pad of paper and start filling in the spaces. I also think that when a CO shows up to a spot that they should look a little harder for the ones that like to slip away. I wonder why they slip away, hmmmm maybe they have too many fish or something illegal.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
HOOK said:
or alot of the CO's should hand out maximum fines and confiscate gear like they are allowed to. I have only seen them hand out the 150$ fines even for fishing without a licence !! what the hell !!! isnt that supposed to be like a 1500$ fine and byebye gear even vehicle if they really want to.

HOOK

test could be a good idea however any idiot can read a book and pass a test by memory
Yes thats true - but you'd HOPE that with the money they are raking in from the boaters test and then this one - they could afford to get a few more DFO officers on the water. I think I've only seen them out once this year and that was when they shut the Fraser down. And we saw 3 boats - with 4 people in each boat. Besides that maybe they are at Tim Hortons - lol.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Rivahman said:
I agree with rivahman.People are supposed to make sure they are aware of the rules and regs.As well as be able to identify their catch.Saying "I didn't know" doesn't cut it! Bust their a--.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was out on the lower vedder last saturday..... (with about 30 others when i got there at 6am)and one guy brought a fish back to shore and bonked it...although i didn't see it as we were wading 30 feet from shore..the guy fishing up from me saw the fish and the DFO catch him...ends up being a wild coho..as soon as he bonked it the undercover DFO was there. not sure of the repercussions but it was good to see. He pleaded he didn't know it was a coho... It was only the 2nd time i see DFO's. last year was at the mouth of the stave to see if fishermen had their tidal licenses.
thanks to Ribwart for starting that thread on "coho VS springs". i sure learnt from it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
This has become a intresting topic as of late the whole exam for a license. I can honestly say there is no way it would work. If there is a test there is a way to cheat and get around it. Two if you have to wait to take the exam and the fishings hot chances are to bozo's out there causing the problems will be out there without licenses any way. Three by the gov does enough studies on how to approach theis and make it feasible they could have paid for a couple dozen new C/O's salaries for a few years. The problem is the current regs have too many grey areas to play and exploit. ie leader length and technique. Theyonly way you will see change on the local flows is if dfo re writes the regs and implements them to include not only leader lengths, but also enforce the rules that are in place. ie attempting to snag fish. The C/O's should be a pain in the ass to the unsporting, so maybe they will think twice about what they are doing. There have been alot more dfo/co's on the vedder this year than I have ever seen before and maybe this is the start of something good
Cheers,
Crazy D
P.S Dont be suprised when what I've been saying for the last few years comes true limited entry fishing, (like in hunting) on lower main land flows, who knows could happen

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I gotta agree CD ...

4) Just because these folks drag their fish up on the rocks, bonk everything they catch, and fish with "Sockeye" techniques it doesn't mean they are stupid. They can easily pass a test without difficulty. The only time I have ever seen anyone play the stupid "DUH" role is when they are caught red handed.

Now we are back to caring, consideration, and just plain common sense ........ something they don't have and that probably can't be taught at their age.

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
GOFISH said:
I gotta agree CD ...

4) Just because these folks drag their fish up on the rocks, bonk everything they catch, and fish with "Sockeye" techniques it doesn't mean they are stupid. They can easily pass a test without difficulty. The only time I have ever seen anyone play the stupid "DUH" role is when they are caught red handed.

Now we are back to caring, consideration, and just plain common sense ........ something they don't have and that probably can't be taught at their age.

GOFISH 8)
Agreed, but don't you think that if there was some sort of test or varification of knowledge on all the regs, that it would cut down on all those idiots that couldn't pass. Just because they are not all idiots doesn't mean we couldn't filter them out. I'm just saying that there should at least be proof that someone has read the entire regs book before they can get a license. So atleast they know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.