BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best fly to tie for a greater hook to land ratio? Everyone has there own thoughts on this topic as I do but I thought it would be cool to hear what everyone thinks about this topic!

Traditional Tie

Stinger

Tube Fly

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have only fished traditional ties, and I don't loose that many fish. But I don't hook as many as some guys either. I really like the way stinger ties look. Are there any sites that cover some basic stinger patterns?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
i can fish with the traditionals and get great results, reason why. I use a turle knot, yes i spelt it right. Most knots tie straight to the iron and pull up on low water salmon hooks, the turle knot comes off straight and gives you a direct pull. U can still use traditional knots but then u have to break off the eye and make your own out of braid, another thing with the big irons is i dont like bigger than a 2/0 does to much damage to the fish, and with the bigger sizes i suggest u take a file to the shank near the point and thin it out, make it so the fish cant spit it out, even if you dont tug.

I fish traditionals for 2 reasons, the others are to time consuming, and i fish down and deep on the swing, and i tie patterns that i dont cry about if i loose them, i usually fish with marabou, and rabbit fur. I do use a few fancy/stiffer patterns for strong flows, like GP's, Freight trains, and skykomish sunrise's. They stay up and create a better profile in strong flows where the marabou would collapse. My point is if u loose a marabou or rabbit fur pattern u dont really care cus it take like 5 minutes to tie them and they are inexpensive, but if u lose an intruder or tube fly i'm balling my eyes out 1 because they look awsome and 2 because if i buy them they cost like $4 and if i tie them it takes like 20 minutes for 1 fly.

Turle Knot

It doesn't matter if its and upturned or a downturned eye, as long as the eye is not straight
Kinda long sorry. :2cents:

·
Registered
104 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.