BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Me and four buddies are going fishing around Thormanby Island (one of the guys has a place in Bucaneer Bay) for four days in mid-July and...there is live bait available at Secret Cove. At least there was last year and it was $12 a dozen. I think it was the same price in the 80s!

Anyhow, it has been ages since I have anchored and mooched. I am wondering if any of you guys still mooch with live or are we better off trolling?

My question is...what kind of surface structure should we be looking for to anchor in? Do incoming or outgoing tides make much of a difference? We will use the standard cut plug rig with a bananna weight and one hook through the snout and one through the back, and let the little fishy do its thing.

I am wondering if this is still the setup you guys use? I remember dogs being a real pain in the ass but really enjoy spending a couple hours with the engine off just watching the rod tip bounce up and down in the sun.

If you have any tips on mooching, and finding the right spots that are suitable for mooching that would be great. Also if anyone knows of any spots around there to fish? I remember we used to go over to Sangster and did quite well, as well as Lasquitti but that was 20 yrs ago..

If you have anything you want to share technique or area related, that would be great....

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds right but don't anchor just drift. About 20-30 cranks off the bottom. Just got back from a trip yesterday and one boat in our group brought in 2 beauty springs mooching around the exact area you will be. We were too lazy to go with them and stayed around Pender... oops. They fished the tide and had nothing all morning so I think it was pretty random. They used herring from Secret Cove.
Most guys will probably tell you that trolling is better but you never know!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip on not anchoring Scuntor...we used to anchor. BGM...we would be using live herring with a typical cutplug setup ie. leader with two single barbless hooks to rig the live bait...

·
Registered
770 Posts
Trollers will outfish you. However, mooching just like that IS productive and there were many a day when moochers kicked us trollers butts back then. Sounds fun! :) Good luck and ENJOY!!!!! Cutplugging is an alternative....however, heck with it...may as well troll...because that's what you're doing....it's call power mooching...which is CHEATING when it comes to mooching.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts