BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was walking back to my car this morning after a morning fishing at PegLeg when I heard shouts coming from around where I had been fishing. A guy in chest waders had slipped in the water, his waders filled with water and he couldn’t get up.

For all the talk of what a “gong show” Peg Leg is (and it is most of the time) I was very impressed with how our fellow anglers rallied to save this guy. The guys around him dropped their rods and ran to pull him out. A number of other people tried to calm the guy down by telling him not to panic and to try to keep his footing. Other guys went to get a rope. Some guys from across the river jumped into their boat and raced over to him to get him out.

Thankfully this didn’t become a tragedy. Be careful when wearing waders.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Nice to hear the other folks jumped in to save the guy.When it comes to a life and death situation its good to know complete strangers will drop thier rods and come to the aid of a stricken angler.I for one would not put myself in that situation,but its good to know if i ever was i could count on others to come to my aid!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Hey Guys....just cuz I asked a question about "safety" after what Ortho's son went throught.

Question....in water that is moving that quickly, is there any way to cut yourself free? I understand the suction in the bottom of waders from duck hunting back in MB....but aside from a PFD etc....is there any way that you could cut yourself/waders free from one another with a notable sized knife on your hip?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts

Question....in water that is moving that quickly, is there any way to cut yourself free? I understand the suction in the bottom of waders from duck hunting back in MB....but aside from a PFD etc....is there any way that you could cut yourself/waders free from one another with a notable sized knife on your hip?​
Perhaps you could, but I think you'd need the patience and calm of the Dali Lama or perhaps a Shaolin Monk.
You'd have to be careful not to severe an artery or cut off your nards as you weilded your blade while bobbing around trying to stay afloat.
You'd then have to some how get out of your boots (even when my laces are undone I still have to pull pretty good to get them off and that's when I'm sitting down on shore).
When I was growing up I was always told to try to pull my knees to my chest as this would limit the amount of water that would get into your waders and perhaps trap some air for bouency.
I have gotten wet in the past but have always managed (so far) to scramble out quickly without ever testing this theory.
Having said that I am no longer as invincable as I once thought, I wear a wading belt, a PFD and have passed on some nice water when fishing alone.
(my brain tends to override my testosterone these days)

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
I guess it's not so bad fishing shoulder to shoulder afterall ;)
Interesting post...its probally the amount of anglers there forces others to take a chance to get a edge on the hordes of anglers and on the other hand because of the multitudes of people there one has alot of help around if needed.I still shake my head remembering when i went there to have a look this season at the "show"! It is beyond me how anyone would want to take part in this circus,its an adventure just to get your vehicle down that rd without hitting anything or anybody.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Frankly, I think promoting ideas like cutting yourself free of your waders is dangerous.

There is a well established and pretty reliable way to survive these situations - wear a PFD. I see no reason to dismiss this up front.

I'm not sure why so many people seem to think it isn't "manly" or something to wear a PFD. This attitude seems particularly prevalent among many fishing veterans. Precisely the people who should be setting an example.

Wear a PFD. I do.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I enjoy one or two friends for company but not friends for as far as I can see. I've seen something maybe even more odd atleast to me while traveling in Washington state, fly fisherman shoulder to shoulder on a lake casting into the same little hole and on the other side of the hole more fisherman casting back towards the others. Then again maybe I'm the oddball, I never did enjoy team sports. Maybe because I fish solo mostly or with my wife I'm a bit more calculated with risk and personal safety. There is never a group of people near enough that I could count on to save my dumb A$$

·
Registered
263 Posts
Frankly, I think promoting ideas like cutting yourself free of your waders is dangerous.

There is a well established and pretty reliable way to survive these situations - wear a PFD. I see no reason to dismiss this up front.

I'm not sure why so many people seem to think it isn't "manly" or something to wear a PFD. This attitude seems particularly prevalent among many fishing veterans. Precisely the people who should be setting an example.

Wear a PFD. I do.

I always wear a straight blade hunting knife in a sheath on my wading belt just in case. Even if I was wearing a PFD I would still want to have the knife handy to puncture my waders and let out some water.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Couldnt you just unbuckle the shoulder straps and then work your way to shore with your waders hanging off your ankles? Anyways, not a situation id like to find myself in!

closer and closer to 20 posts!

·
Registered
84 Posts

mustang belt-type PFD.

If ya fall into the water, toss your rod to somebody nearby.
yank yellow handle
throw inflated PFD over your head (or just hug it)

You can get them anywhere. West Marine, wholesale sports, etc. about $150

·
Registered
35 Posts

mustang belt-type PFD.

If ya fall into the water, toss your rod to somebody nearby.
yank yellow handle
throw inflated PFD over your head (or just hug it)

You can get them anywhere. West Marine, wholesale sports, etc. about $150
i use one of those in my belly boat. havnt had to tried it out yet tho

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well said, you spend the money on the rod and reel and when you go in guess what the first thing you let go of is gonna be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always wear a vest when near waters, I even wear a vest when i was at Peg Leg and my feet wasn't on waters. Laugh all they want but i have seen one lost his footing and luckily he was able to hold on to the shore.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts