BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 small trailers, a tent trailer and a utility for my 12' aluminum.
since they have been sitting idle over the winter should i be doing something
to the wheels and axles, so i don't have any issues when i get out on
the road. I know basic mechanical stuff,but thats about it.

Thanks
Gmason

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
Two things, bearing buddies are a must. They allow you to pump grease into the bearings when needed easily. Second check the bearings for slop or play by holding onto
the tire and wiggle . You want a little play but not tight. Also wipe off the exsessive grease it will come out the back side while injecting and after use.

Marko

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Always remember, your trailer tires are usually much smaller in diameter than your truck tires. That means they are spinning WAY faster at highway speeds than your vehicle's tires. Result= WAY more wear and tear.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Keep a small tool box with an extra set of bearings and seals along with a few tools to change one on the side of the road if needed. It's cheap insurance and you wouldn't want to have to leave the trailer on the side of the road while you run for parts that might not be available when you need them. Even with good preventive maintenance bearings can pack it in unexpectedly.
Bearing buddies are helpful, they keep positive pressure inside the hubs which prevents the water from getting in which then wrecks the bearing. In my opinion if you have grease coming out the backside your pumping too much in and blowing out the seals.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good stuff guys,
i think i will pack them "old school" this year so i know how to do it,
Extra Grumpy , i like the idea of carrying a back up set.
Thanks again
Gmason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts