BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... on the Vedder today, Mid river... had a great day into a bunch of chum then a monster spring all sent on their way, great day until this guy from a riverside cabin tells me I cant fish there because Im on his property. I was fishing along the rocks right at the water level so I told him that I wasnt actually on his property but below the high water mark, he was a bit of a goof about it but left...and I moved down. He has a Hells Angels Decal on his fence sign if some of you know the area Im referring to. I was fairly certain that i was legally able to be on the rocks at the water level without trespassing... anyone shed any light?

· Registered
131 Posts
I know exactly the spot you are referring too... I've had run-ins with the same guy, and sounds like you cut a more imposing figure than I did, as he didn't back down from me when I said the same thing.

This has been discussed on other boards, and although you are technically right (about high water marks and not owning river property, etc), I believe there is more to it than that in some cases.

Either way, I find the guy too much of an @#&*$^@# to bother dealing with, so I just don't fish there anymore.

Good luck, glad you had a good day!
:D
Tex

· Registered
787 Posts
anyone can get a hells angles decal, maybe its just a scare tactic.. if he ended up leaving after the conversation i can only imagine he didnt really care about it a whole lot.

Keep fishing there untill the cops come and tell you to leave

· Registered
131 Posts
The guy is just an aggressive, angry idiot with too much time on his hands. Don't fight him on it - I would just avoid the spot, or if you really want to fish there (or if you really want to stick to your principles), then get the appropriate documentation/authorization that it's ok to fish there.

The guy is a bit of a loose canon, and not worth dealing with otherwise.
:D
Tex

· Registered
1,078 Posts
I too have had a run with this guy and waited for the police to show up. when they did they asked me to leave as he was right. he apparently has a title of land that has not changed hands for many years and that the property line is actually in the river. i don't know for sure how this is possible or not but when the police showed and asked me to leave i did so and have not returned since out of respect for the homeowner and the police for showing up. this was about 5 years ago. there is another side of the river at this spot that can be fished without the hassle of watching over your back to see what or who is coming at you.

· Registered
223 Posts
I have to say that this man just might own the land to the middle of the river. Back when the original titles were allotted the land title covered the land, minerals, and waterways that pass through your properties. If a water way was used for a boundary it would be to the center of it. I'm the 6th generation in Chilliwack on the original home steed. We originally received 300 acres of land for free. This is how the first pioneers moved to Chilliwack to start a pioneering town. Acreage for Free!!! Oh ya My GGGreat Grand father was the Reeve of Chilliwack like the sheriff before Chilliwack was a City. Wyatt Errpish. Blah Blah. Back to land title. We owned to the middle of the river until some time in the last 40 years. I think it might have to do with the DFO and Governing over a fish bearing Stream that we lost this title to the middle of the stream. Or The city of Chilliwack asking 200 people to sign a right of passage on to their properties to dredge a ditch. I live with in City Limits. I'm guessing this guy is in the Boonies. WOW Finger Diathermy :hmmm:
Cheers :drunk:

· Registered
8 Posts
was this a white house by the vedder bridge? i work with a guy that lives there and he is tired of all the poaching that is going on right in front of his place. losers snagging fish, just being idiots and then leaving their garbage everywhere.

· Banned
121 Posts
You guys ever heard the story of him being tossed in the river when he tried to bully someone out of the area?

There are very few rivers where private owners own the river bed, affiliation with a criminal organization or not, we should respect those private properties. Give these land owners too much static and fishing access will be limited. I know of several instances in various places around BC where a quick knock on the door of a house and a "hello, i'm fishing may i cross your pasture to get to the river?" was all that was needed.

· Banned
48 Posts
Iv posted about this before somewhere, but Ill make this short. One time I didnt leave this area, the old guy who lives there phoned the cops. When the cops arrived they told me he has a 100 year old deed from the shore line of his property and out half way into the river. I doubt this is the case, I think the cops said this so we would leave and there would be no problems.

Also the guy who owns this property has a son and grandson who are part of the hells angels organisation. Iv met both of them fishing last year, and they seemed to be very nice people, but the old fart living there can be an ass.

I can agree with him not allowing people not to fish there if they are leaving garbage, but come on If your gonna clean up after yourself, let the guys go ahead and have a good time fishing.

Pick up you shit when you leave the river.

· Banned
48 Posts
I found it deadly in past years for springs! All the bottom flossers, long liners, and snaggers would be ripping away on the other side of the river. This pushed alot of fish to the other side, and hanging up towards the surface of the water, where they could avoid all the ripping. I would set my float at 2-4 feet with some roe, and slam springs all day, only remember 1 coho coming out of there for me.

· Registered
29 Posts
I once saw the guy and asked if I could look at the run from the top of his property. He was nice and everything and we chatted for 5 minutes and I left. Then the next week I did the same thing to see if the conditions had changed and he was all pissed off that I was even on his property. I dont particularily like that run anymore so I dont bother but it is weird that he could own that section of land/water. I agree with the tailout too, it was great till that flood changed it.

· Registered
170 Posts
I think there is a possibility that the person does own the land to the river. I don`t personally know this property but some of the old lands were staked out a hundred years ago. When the river shifts the river can shift onto his land.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.