BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed to sheridan park resort tomorrow and I plan to bring an old trolling set up with lead core line but I really want to use my fly rod and type 6 sink line with a big ole leech to entice a beast from the depths. I was also considering tying on an apex or k5 size kwik fish if the feathers aren't doing anything for me. So far I have very little experience with trolling a fly and have never trolled very deep since I usually use a type 3 sink line. Any thoughts on chasing fish at 30 - 60 ft. with the fly ? I'd love to hear how some of you pro's do this !

Salmon Slayer

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find trolling at deep depths with a leech is great is you use a more colourful leech (burgundy or red) oppose to black. Once u let out ur line just slowly troll around the deepest parts of the lake and your sure to have success, or at least i always did!

Hope i helped

·
Registered
216 Posts
Adding split shots will help too as i find a slow troll on the electric motor still only gets you down 20 to 25 feet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To really get down you will need to go SLOW as a fly line has so much drag that is rides high in the water column. I tend use the trolling motor to get the line out, then shut it down and row. I make a stroke every 6 seconds or so. This will get you down 30 + feet. When you start hitting bottom, just pick up the pace slightly and you know you will be right off the bottom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts