BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know wind & current plays a major factor but do anyone troll based on down rigger cable angles based on a 12lb ball
Or are most of U running on speed gauge alone. For ex. with the wind on your back troll speed @ 3-4 mph down rigger @ almost straight up & down, then turn around going the opposite direction @ the same speed that cable angle is almost 60 deg.
It's kinda like my pet peev to keep a consistent speed for my gear to work properly with the wright action

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
kanuckle head said:
...Or are most of U running on speed gauge alone.
While the GPS speedometer is indeed a useful tool, in a great many places you simply cannot rely on that to give you a decent indication of what your gear is up to down below.

Case in point: When fishing the inside of the Island (Chumly Tyme) out of Brown's Bay, the tides play a very significant influence on boat-over-ground speed as read by your GPS. In fact, there have been many many times I'm cooking along at 3 or 4 knots, in the OPPOSITE direction that the boat is facing - as in backwards. Attempting to get her going at "proper" speed would undoubtablely result in the wire stretched straight back and water-skiing gear!

While the West Side isn't as demanding in terms of tidal influence, it still very much occurs, as does wind, etc.

A good rule of thumb is an angle of ~ 45 degrees with wire, slightly more with braid.

My general rule of thumb on speeds:
Blades w/ hootchies/bait: ~ 2.5 - 2.7 Knots.
Spoons: anywhere from 2.5 through just over 3 knots.
Plugs: 3 - 3.5 knots.

Tight Lines!
Nog

·
Registered
464 Posts
My general rule of thumb is also 45 degrees on the cable with 12 pound balls. Of course I also go by the speed as given by the GPS. I generaly start in the 1.8 - 2.6 mph range on the average day fishing. I will vary my speeds till I start having some luck. Make sure you pay close atention to your speed when you have a hit, so you can duplicate the speed after playing the fish. General rules don't always apply though, I have had excellent days fishing for springs at speeds people would only expect to catch Coho. Sometimes speeds from 3.5 to over 4 mph have turned the trick when the usual speeds did nothing.

I'm swiching to powerpro on my riggers when it arrives in the mail. I ordered the 200 lb braided line. Does anyone use the same type and how will it compare to stainless for angle. From what I'd heard, I thought the line angle would be less?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yep the angle of your 'rigger cable prevails over your actual speed.
I have a hand gps (Garmin 60cs) in my hand almost at all times and stay between 2.2 and 2.8 kmh, however as previously mentioned, wind at your back with the tide and your flasher isnt working properly, especially if your rigger line is perpendicular to your rigger boom.
If you're fishing the just before/during/after slack tides, it wont be a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I've been told the fish like to face nose into the current. I believe this, because the vast majority of my hookups occur when I'm trolling with the current. I always attempt to troll with the current. This way I bonk them in the nose, instead of the tail.

Given I'm always trolling WITH the current, depending on the strength of the current I have to adjust my speed to ensure I have some angle on my downrigger cable. It there isn't any angle on my downrigger cable, there likely isn't any action on my gear. When I get to the end of the run, "everyone up, we're heading back to the begging of the run!". I'm not going to waste time SLOOOOWLY trolling against the current to get to the beginning of the run.

I zig/zag as I move along. This enables me to go a little slower if the tide is ripping.

I don't worry if it seems I'm going fast. I'm not trying to control the speed of my boat, I'm trying to control the presentation of my gear to the fish below. In fact, I change speed to change the angle on my downrigger cable because it seems, and this may be wishful thinking, but strikes can be triggered by a change in speed/depth.
:2cents:
Poly

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ya Trolling speed is the key,
I go by sight and sound, by sound I mean with the time I spent on the water I can hear the sweet hummmmm of my down rigger when I am at the right speed, call me crazy but :happy:

Cape

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.