BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you been or know anyone who's fished from Port Alberni in the Alberni Inlet in the past week? Wonder if it's picking up with the recent rainfall. I'd like to get out there this weekend. Looking for any silvery units especially springs.

Any tips for trolling the inlet from PA to the first closure just above Nahmint Bay would be appreciated as I've never fished the area before. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Toolguy.....there are a few Alberni guys on here and they'll be able to better advise you.

All I know is I was driving through there on Monday listening to the local radio and the Alberni Derby didn't sound like a lot of fish were coming in. On one of the other BC Fishing forums there was a thread about it, lack of fish etc.

Drop a line to IronNoggin (Matt).....he is THE man in Alberni. ;) :p

I am just waiting to one day as I am headed to Tofino to fish.....to see a bronze statue of Matt holding a spring in one hand and a steelie in the other at the launch there. :thumbup:

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just got back from a week in Bamfield, fishing with Celikbhoy. We caught two medium sized springs last Friday, then nothing through Wednesday this week. The fishing was VERY slow for the Alberni Derby.

The coho should be in, but haven't shown up yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
alberni

good.... I heard same- and seems to be a lot of smaller springs this yr....It only reinforces the reason I declined this year. I went 2 times in last 2yrs. Always some reason. Went first time right after derby .Sucked cus there was a commercial opening at same time. Follwing year we thought we would beat system and went just prior to derby... guess what?.... they decided to open commercial just prior as well... I wrote local politicians I was so teed off. Third year mediocre spring return...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wow, heading up to Bam this coming weekend, hope those elusive big ones show up. At least Jamie has lots of stories to fill in the time Eric.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies. I PM'd Matt but nothing back yet. I've called the marinas in PA and they tell it's pretty quiet. What's going on!

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Well, probably many factors, but the renowned hatchery is not what it once was in terms of getting those fish to return. I am sure others have their own opinions and we'll see the usual blameworthy suspects turn up. Maybe the Cohen Commission needs to expand their mandate?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Eric you should post a pic of that "medium sized spring", if we would have caught that on the saturday, we would have been into some prize-money. But sadly it is very slow fishing in the Barclay Sound. On the plus side though, it is breathtaking here. Todd hope you have more success, call me when you get here, might be able to get away from the madness called work...Jamie

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Put 11 hours in the Sound during the Derby, rolling bait and looking for a Robertson to win. Alas, NO joy! ???

The River is alive with fish, but the Sound and Inlet appear to be empty. Guess seven years of The Dino running seiners and gillnets did their job. Sucks. :mad:

River time is NOW, hunting a very short ways away...

Cheers,
Nog

PS: PM replied to. Sorry for the delay, was away guiding the last shot of the season over in Ukee, and even there, it has slowed tremendously...

·
Registered
32 Posts
A little late on this...but basically the same report from our group that was just in Bam. We had people there from late Aug up until Sept 10. The only way to get good action was way offshore. Just a low return this year apparently.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Jamie I'll call you when we are there, coming in tonight. I'll let you know how it goes I'm on someone elses boat and I don't know where they like to fish but I don't think it's way offshore where there might be fish. I may be in for a sightseeing trip.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Eric you should post a pic of that "medium sized spring", if we would have caught that on the saturday, we would have been into some prize-money. But sadly it is very slow fishing in the Barclay Sound. On the plus side though, it is breathtaking here. Todd hope you have more success, call me when you get here, might be able to get away from the madness called work...Jamie
Jamie was super nice to host me for a few days.

I've forwarded you the pics, mon. The one was a pretty decent fish, actually.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts