BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm looking at picking up a 10wt rod for tropical saltwater trips hunting permit, baby tarpon, etc. I am trying to get away once or twice a year to fish the flats.

I'd like to keep the price point reasonable, say in the $300 range if I can get something serviceable.

Attributes I'm looking for are:
- Fast action
- Good backbone
- Fighting butt
- A decent warranty would be nice.

I've looked at a few options, including:
- St Croix: on sale for $185, but not much backbone
- Sage Launch: not bad, but not crazy about the butt. Wasn't sure about it's lifting power.
- Sage Xi3: Nice. Too much money
- TFO TiCr and TiCr-X: I liked the X better, but couldn't find one in a 10wt
- Echo Ion: Not enough backbone

I've been recommended to look at the Echo 2 Saltwater, but I haven't seen it yet.

I'd appreciate any advice or input. Give me your wisdom, oh BCFR oracles.

Regards,

Eric

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hey Eric, keep a eye out for Orvis T-3 rods, they are a great salt rod and you can find them out there for about $200.00-$300.00. Orvis warranty and service are great, 25 years unconditional on the rod. Last year in Provo I closed the hatch of our SUV on my 7wt T-3 (DOH!), orvis replaced the rod no questions asked. When are you heading out? I've got a 10wt T-3 you can take for a test drive on your trip, but I'll need it back by the end of April as we are going back to the Turks and Caicos Islands chasing bones for a couple week.

Cheers Bill

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI, I ended up with a 12wt Xi2 with a fore-grip that I got on clearance, and a 9wt Xi3. I figure I'm well covered. :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most places that carry them have them on discount now. I got mine at Berry's Bait in Richmond.

The Xi2 has been discontinued and replaced by the Xi3, so any leftovers you can find are generally marked down. Note that Sage restricts stores from discounting current models by more than 10% (or so), so clearance units can be a great deal. The Xi2 is still a great rod. The Xi3 is slightly lighter and has a bit different action, but they're in the same league.

I'm not sure if Berry's has any Xi2s left. Last I looked I think they had a few, but that was a month or so ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts