BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all this is my first post here, im still pretty new to the ways of fly fishing, this is my third season with a fly rod. i was out fishing and a wrapped my leader around a tree branch and it has kinda coiled up like a pigs tail. is there a way to straighten it or should i just throw on a new leader. thanks for reading

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
The only way to straighten it out would be to stretch it by pulling each end with your hands or a leader straightener. That will work sometimes, just dont do it to much, weakens the leader when stretched too much. You might want to run the line through your two fingers and feel for nicks, if there are some, just change it, its not worth loosing that trophy trout over a piece of 25 cent leader! ;)

·
Registered
901 Posts
Welcome deathmetaldremel
Is it a bought leader?
I dont use bought leaders i just make them, tapering with reducing line sizes
your knots need to be good but its fun to try and cheaper
As Rick mentioned if line is not right better to replace than be sorry when that trophy snaps your line
Oh and stay clear of those trees :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I buy tapered leaders and replace the non-tapered section with new material and add tippet length as necessary. If the pig-tailed section is in the heavier tapered "butt" section of leader you are best off just replacing the whole leader, if its in the "tippet" section you can try cutting it out and tie in a new piece with a blood knot.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well , me I would cut it back to the best spot use a leather flap to run the line through to straighten just do it slow, as not to burn or create friction, as this will create a week spot. It's a good time to practice your knots for splicing--- blood knots to me are the best just pull and wet line good before, and keep the friction down---- if you go on the web you can find fishing knots all kinds to try, animated knots by gor is really good .
good luck HOOK LINE & SINKER

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you for everyones help. trees should no longer be an issue and ive picked up a creek company pontoon boat. i was able to work my leader straight just by zoning out watching some tv and repeatedly straightening the line over and over. sometimes autopilot can be a good thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts