BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I'm new to this forum - what a great site by the way! I've gained some valuable knowledge by reading through a lot of the topics, and I really appreciate it.

I've spent the whole summer repairing and refurbishing a boat that I bought in the spring (older 14 ft aluminum) and its finally ready to see water. I dropped it into the tidal Fraser a couple of weeks ago once I finished the repairs, and along with the '99 15Hp 4 stroke Merc that I put on it, it ran excellent. Although, it was pretty stressful dealing with all the elements that come along with boating in the lower fraser, not the least of which were the dozens of commercial boats with their nets strung halfway across the river catching sockeye.

So, I think I'd rather take the boat out on some of the lakes in the lower mainland (Alouette, Kwakawa, and maybe some of the lakes near 100 Mile) and try my luck with trout until I get more accustomed to my boat and its capabilities.

My question is, generally speaking, how is the trout fishing in the fall? More specifically, are these fish spawning or getting ready to spawn like the salmon are during this time of year? making it not a good time to target them as they should be left alone to "do their thing"? Or is the fall a good time to go fishing for trout in many of the lakes in the lower portion of this province? I know that many lakes get stocked in the fall.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and I really appreciate any information you can provide!

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are fishing for rainbow's you don't have to worry because they spawn in the spring. Whereas brookies and other char spawn in the fall.
As for fishing in the fall, it is a good time because trout are relatively shallow feeding on scuds and leeches to fatten up before the ice off. If you are trolling you should get an electric motor because they are slow and don't make a noise.
hoped I helped

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Joe pretty much answered the bulk of your question. Rainbows spawn in the spring, so that shouldn't be a problem. If you go up North towards 100 Mile, like you were saying, you should find lots of action for yourself. The fish typically start feeding like crazy around that time before it gets too cold and wipes out their food supply. Some good times can be had on the fly rod, that's for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies...I've got a 50lb thrust minn kota for trolling, and I'll definitely make good use of it...good to know that rainbows spawn in the spring...I'll probably be trying wedding bands and worms...can't wait to get out there!!

·
Banned
151 Posts
St.Marys weekend.

3 pals and I are going to St. Marys lake in 2 weeks and wondering how the fishing has been there. Hopefully it cools down a bit and we can put a few on the bbq. Anyone here from Saltspring is invited to join us for a cold one and some laughs if they'd like. We'll be there Oct 9/10th. :cheers: oldman.

·
Registered
21 Posts
thanks for the replies...I've got a 50lb thrust minn kota for trolling, and I'll definitely make good use of it...good to know that rainbows spawn in the spring...I'll probably be trying wedding bands and worms...can't wait to get out there!!
Nice buy, you wont regret it. Just make sure that you are using the slowest speed and when the wind is at your back turn the motor off and just let the wind drift you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
took the boat out to Alouette yesterday afternoon with the wife. What a great day, and what a beautiful lake! Ran into a DFO officer who was counting all/any fish anglers were taking home, I guess they just added a bunch of nitrogen and phosphorus (I think) to the lake and they're wondering what kind of effect it will have on the fish. He told me that nobody was catching fish, but that didn't dampen our spirits. We launched the boat and quicky picked up lots of schools of fish on the fish finder. We ended up catching 5 fish - 3 Pikeminnows (one of them had to be 3 pounds!) and two small kokanee. We were trolling with the Minn Kota for about 2 hours straight on the absolute lowest speed and that seemed to be the ticket, using wedding bands with worms. Saw about 4 other boats and they weren't catching anything - so we must have been doing something right. It was great to get accustomed to my new boat and its capabilities (much less stressful than the tidal fraser), and it was even better to catch fish. Its been a while and I almost forgot what it felt like to get a tug on the line - its addictive!! I will be going back.

Tight lines!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts