BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get into some feather chucking on the still waters, what is a good starter rod/reel at a good price?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Steelie Trav said:
Looking to get into some feather chucking on the still waters, what is a good starter rod/reel at a good price?
Umm, what's a "good price"? A price range would be good to know because there's good offerings in all price ranges. But for your first trout rod, you're probably looking for an all-arounder, and in that case, you should get a 9' 6wt. The actual brand will vary according to the price range that you give us. Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What i did was, i went to hubs sports in abby, with a buget of $200-250 and asked what they could set me up with and i ended up with a 9' 5wt fenwick hmx rod and reel combo with both floating and sinking lines. i have been fully satisfied with the setup for 2 years now and dont see a need to get anything better then that but i also wouldnt get anything worse either. I suggest you go to any local fly shop and i think they would be the most helpful as you will probably be able to test out different rods and compare.

hope that helps you out a little

fisher4life

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Fenwick has been in the industry for a long long time, and I've never been disappointed in their products. The HMX is a good casting flyrod, and that combo sounds like a great price. Just make sure that you have a decent dry line with it...something like a SA Headstart or similar line is great for caster just learning and is a good quality line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts