BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I shoudl break out my geometry textbook, but is there a shortcut to figure the true depth you are trolling given the typical 45 degree angle for the downrigger cable Vs. depth showing on your downrigger gauge?

Also, rookie question here: When you guys report various depths when trolling do you mean the true depth or simply the one showing on your downrigger gauge?

· Registered
815 Posts
Basic trig will not accuately tell the depth of the ball. The wire curves with the highest angle at the downrigger. The best way to find out is to hit the bottom. Last time I was fishing the angle was about 50 degrees, the bottom was 80' and we were hitting it at 94'. If we called it 45 degree the slope would be 1/1 so we should have 160' out according to Pythagrus. The reality doesn't match cause there's a curve.

We need caculus :wallbash:.

Have fun, Jason

· Registered
249 Posts
oh my.....is the fishing that bad that we have now sunk to calculus and trig to catch fish.....argh......i passed grade 10 math by the skin of my teeth but i can still catch fish......most of the guys i know report their depth by the number on the downrigger...if they hook up with something other than the normal angles most guys just say that the lines were stretched out....

· Registered
509 Posts
Wow,

I agree the only way to tell is when you hit bottom BUT make sure when you do that you have a bungee on or you could be loosing your downrigger or worse yet the gunnel of your boat.

I usually say the downrigger counter, less 15ft after that I get close to the downriggers auto up button :happy:

Good luck

Cape R

· Premium Member
2,719 Posts
coriba said:
At 45 degrees your true depth would be your line length divided by the square root of 2, about 1.4, andyour ball will be as far back as it is deep. Curved lines screw all of this up.

Dan
Thats true you cant see the curve in your line ;) at a 45 at 100ft on the dr you would be fishing (not exact) 80-85ft.... is something to think about when you are watching the blips go by on the sounder ;)

(I fish 12's)

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great responses. I wasn't trying to be too damn technical, just curious. And you guys are right about the curving, which I hadn't even thought of. In any event, I took all this into consideration today when I was told to fish a certain depth off Point Grey. I got a 22lb white spring (white hoochie) going with the tide, cable about 45 and 110' showing on the gauge. This was around 10AM, and I got another one on, but lost it, same depth 30 minutes later. Both were 1/3 way between the bell buoy and the QA, a bit away from the crowds congregating around the bell buoy.

· Registered
232 Posts
Hey Captain Dave, Unless there is a huge run of fish coming through, The fish are always away from the crowds. This topic has been discussed before. I find I have better luck if I stay away from the crowd. If a few boats see me hook up and troll in my direction, I just keep going farther away. I am not a professional, but I am really starting to put fish in my boat now. It has taken a lot of trial and error and I got some good advice along the way!

Matt

· Registered
1,113 Posts
If you have a sensitive enough depthsounder you should be able to pick up the cannon balls on the sounder. That is the most accurate method I have come up with. I can see them at different depths as a solid line at that depth, and it is usually with 5 - 10 feet of what the downrigger counter is reading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.