BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually fish around the Bella Coola/ Atnarko river area but just wondering are guys using this line down south as well??? I have seen guys that use mono get a fish on, then go through another person using tuff line or spiderwire and cut the mono to shreds. I try to stay away from anyone using this line for that reason....A lot of guys told me that is an "unwritten rule" to not use this line in the rivers...I myself use mono and do not plan on changing, I will admit it is very hard next to impossible to break!!!

· Registered
691 Posts
For bar fishing and for Sturgeon braided is great. As for smaller rivers, I personally don't like seeing it. It causes on heck of a mess, and can really be a wading hazard, not to mentions the kind of damage it can do to anything that gets tangled in a mess of it.

· Registered
707 Posts
braid is great for fishing a place like the Atnarko providing you are using mono leaders. You can easily fish 50lb or better for mainline and use leaders 30lb or better for chinook fishing. Keeps the size of reel used to a more reasonable size than what is needed when using 40lb or better mainline.

· Registered
64 Posts
My two cents...maybe late but here goes anyway.

Used braid in the Puntledge this fall for Chum. In combo with a 30 lb mono leader
worked great and didn't really seem to be a problem. Didn't break off nearly as much as well.
Will give it a try again next year as well.
I know that many jig/float guys use braid as it is easier to move and control the float and thus
getting the jig to where you want it. Casting was fine at the mid to lower lb/test numbers. Have not
tried the 70-80 lb/test variety.

· Registered
32 Posts
Braided line if very popular for fishing fish such as Musky as it does not mark up hte fish as bad when they role. With Mono, when the fish roles when fishing, the Mono unfortunately cuts right into the fish, and when you are trying to practice catch and release fishing, this is less than desireable. However, since I started fishing rivers in the lower mainland, mono has been highly recommended, and I haven't experienced the same kind of damage to the fish, so I don't know why there is a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.