BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard this rumor that you can get into some nice Tuna off the west side of the island in the summer months.

Anyone know of charters in Tofino or Ucluelet that may offer this?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Albacore tuna can be caught off the WCVI in the right conditions, but it's a little early. Usually Aug/Sept.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You have to go really far offshore to find the blue water where the tuna swim.

I believe it is something like 30 miles and most guys stay overnight 30 miles out in order to target the fish.

Ironnoggin has a report on tuna on one of the boards - do a a search if you are really interested.

Not sure who will do a charter but I think a guy named Jim in Tahsis has done it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
some friends asked me last year, they needed a fourth to go tuna fishing out of Ukee, they were going out 28 miles in late September, back in the same day. I couldn't go but that sounded liked a pretty crazy trip, hope the weather was good.

·
Registered
578 Posts
under 40miles for Albacores in BC waters is like inshore fishing for the commercial boyz, most times for productivity they venture in the Oregon coast where the warmer current favor the tuna

One year when the elnino hit our coast the mackerel were hard to shake off & a buddy hooked a skip jack 12 miles offshore
Those waters would bring the Albacores in closer & most boats can target them, but regular migration routes for Albacores off BC coast would need a long range craft & a different class of charter license due to transport Canada ( I may B wrong but this is what I herd )

For me this is one of my bucket list & hopefully B4 I'm 6ft under me & my boat 2B can play with Albacores!!!

K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts