BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any reports? Going up for a week from the 1st to the 7th and hints on good flys to bring? Or any other lakes to fish if the big lake is to windy would be awesome! Thanks!

C.K.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RC cool site that i had to add to my favorites! But does anyone have any inside info on the lakes surrounding tunkwa lake? And what is a k mart special? thanks

C.K.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i took a look monday morning with spotty lil windy lotta ppl camping
nice sunny day, didnt fish just showed my friend and we left it wasnt a very successfull day on leighton and i figured tunkwa was the same
plus no big boat i didnt wanna paddle that lake cause i did enuff the days before with a lack of no sleep the night before. :-X

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
hey CK

give me a call about Tunkwa and the lake next to it Leighton as I can give you quite a few ideas of what to use depths and areas of the lakes for this time of year

HOOK

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HOOK i'll call yay tomorrow (thursday) Thanks man!

C.K.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hook sorry i havent gave ya a call as of yet! Been working killer hours to get my work done so i can spend a week in kamloops :thumbup: It is now friday morrning ad my truck is in the shop for repairs, something about a frost plug popped out and all my anti-freez drained out! What i joke! I should be on the road by now but looks more like this afternoon is when i get out! Got a float tube now so i'm set! Tunkwa lake here i come! I'll fish a few other lakes as well one being dairy lake, i here of big fish being caught there. I 'll be sporting my BCFR HAT thanks to travis and my BCFR Patch that i got from rib! I'll takes lotsa pic's of the fish i catch and report when i get back next friday! :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:,<------- lots of this gonna happen around the camp fire! ;D Man i love holidays! :thumbup: HAVE A GREAT WEEK OF WORK BCFR MEMBERS! ;D ;D

C.K.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Ya suck it up there Kev....Hope you have a blast....Cheers Marko... ;D

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Well, CK should be back any time now...I'm heading out that way next weekend, gonna camp for a couple days, pick up the fly rod for the first time in years...should be fun!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well this report is a little late, but i'm thinking i'll write the whole weeks report in the area of kamloops once i have the pictures to show what i seen and the fish that were caught!(when wife gets home ). Some nice trout and un-copoerative weather made it tough! And you wont beleave how some of the huge trout were landed. Report to come but if you want to see some of the reports yourself check out http://tunkwalakeresort.com/fishingreport.php. Like i said i was at the resort staying in a cabin for 6 days JUNE 1ST TO THE 7TH! Highly recomended! cheap prices stay 6 days get the 7th for free! already booked my 7 days for next year same date!

C.K.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
hey CK give me a shout buddy

our little local gem was stocked just under 2 weeks ago fishing is very good

HOOK

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well im gonna upload my pictures of my trip thisevening after work(with help from the wife) and i have one or maybe 2 fish pictures! It was tough fishing for a first timer of flyfishing! :wallbash:

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
It's about time there CK! Get it together man! Can't wait to hear how it all went. I expect to see a report by tonight... ;)

;D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Id like to see a report aswell. Hey C.K. did you talk to my buddy Al while you were up there?

He would have been very helpfull if you had of mentioned you knew me. ;)

Hurry up with the report and pics. lol. ;D

Tight Lines, Nates

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Hey, take it easy on the poor lad. The man probably suffers like the rest of us working stiffs from working too
hard followed by a slight case of computer illiteracy with a dash of procrastination.... :drunk:......... ;D

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well it's 12;13am thursday and well i think the story and pic's can wait just one more day! I do have a cool picture of both tunkawa lake and leighton lake in the same shot, taken from the top of one of the mountains overlooking the lakes! And i myth busted the myth of the question"DO BEARS S$%^ in the woods! ;D I'm hoping if i get off work a lil earlier tomorrow i'll get er done for all to see! More pictures of my surroundings than there were of fish but this fly fishing is new to me, And i can't wait to figure it out! :thumbup:

C.K.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Geeez CK...I'm leavin' tomorrah... :-[

Guess we'll just have to compare notes when I get back...Tunkwa and various others, here we come...

;)

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Well, here goes...no story, no frills, no gimmicks. At least this time..."just the facts ma'am, just the facts..."

We hit up Tunkwa Friday evening after the inevitable delay it usually takes to finally get out of the city, many thanks to Berg for helping me get ready for one of my first serious interior fly fishing trips in quite some time...

We arrived at Tunkwa a couple hours before dark and quickly set up the gear and trolled around the shoals for a while just to get a feel for things...Intermittent, unstable weather was unfortunately what we were obviously going to be in for this weekend as we had seen everything from hail, to rain, to heavier rain on our trip up there.

In fact, I think all told, we only saw a handfull of sunshine hours out there, but otherwise the weather was miserable. Not what you want when targeting Beautiful aggressive Kamloops Rainbow trout. Due to the weather we decided just to stick with Tunkwa and omit our excursions to the various other productive lakes in the area...but I will say this for certain, it is more often than not, well worth the trip, and on top of that, using Tunkwa Lake as a base camp is a very convenient and central location to fish multiple lakes over several days...

Here's the skinny:

• Fishing was slow due to the unstable weather...! You want some warmth to get the hatches going...
  • Surface water temps were centered around 56 degrees farenheit and colder below.
  • Gear guys were doing ok trolling bait, hotshots, etc...but not really anybetter than the Fly guys if you were willing to put the effort in to get on top of the fish...
  • We found or best success was enjoyed around a sunken Island with significant weed growth, fishing Chronomids in approx 15 ft of water with double anchors and a carefull selection of the edge to anchor off...you wanted to be fishing just off the weed beds above MUD bottom, as otherwise dealing with weeds would be too frustrating.
  • Size 14 dull colored chronomids in Maroon, green and brown produced best...
  • We pumped the stomachs of several fish and found small amounts of freshwater shrimp, and smaller green chronomids...

That's all folks...! Oh wait! We saw some nice large fish break water from time to time, and our only regret was that the weather didin't cooperate with us, as we were sure the fishing would have been much, much hotter if the weather had been too...

...and...thanks to nates and my girlfriend for a great weekend despite it's trials and tribulations, and also a very special thanks to the boys at Tunkwa Lake Resort for their excellent hospitality!!! They took great care of us there, and we are definitely going back!!! Thanks Guys!

Here's some pics...

A view from the Shoreline...

Our lovely weather...

Smaller sized, but still beautiful fish in the poor conditions...

Another fish of only a handfull over the weekend that were mostly around 15 inches...

...All on their way much as this one one was to grow larger for the next trip up...

Tight "loops" everyone...LoL ;D

rib

1 - 20 of 28 Posts