BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well searun, his son and I headed out Friday morning to fish Tunkwa and Leighton lake for the long weekend and too say the fishing was slow would be correct. We pulled into camp and got the only spot with trees so it paid to leave early. The spot we had was at the highest point at Tunkwa camp ground where we could see Leighton as well as Tunkwa which made it easy to decide which lake to hit. We first hit Tunkwa on Friday evening and we trolled around and I got a hit right away which resulted in this little beauty.

This one was just over a pound so it was quickly released after the pic.
Trolled around again and on the next pass this one hit and right away I could tell that it was much bigger then the last one as it made a couple nice runs almost into my backing and gave a nice airborn display.

The fly of choice on this evening was a pumpkinhead and it is displayed by the fish. This fish was bonk and had it's stomach pump which showed they where feeding on small and I mean small green and silver chronies. These where probable in the size 20 range. I hit four on this evening and only landed 3.

The next day Tunkwa winds had rolled in so we hit Leighton. When we got there we could see fish everywhere but the fishing was tough. Again I was trolling a pumpkinhead and again it worked but only on 3 fish. All but one was released. Again the stomach was pumped and it revealed that they where feeding on every color of the rainbow chrony and again really really small. We only got to fish for a few hours as the winds where so strong even our anchors where pulling out. The evening fishing was a no go as the winds where a houling. Tents where being flattened and tarps where like parachutes.

The next day say the winds improve but they where still to strong to fish Tunkwa but Leighton was a go. Unfortunatly again the fishing was not that great with only a few fish seen hooked. The evening fish was the same but the weather was really nice. Here is a picture of searun's son.

The sunset made it worth being on the water. Here is a picture of searun.

And here is the finale picture of the weekend and the sunset on Leighton.

Even though the fishing was not the best it sure was nice to be away and fishing with a really good friend.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I did not think the mods would let me say exactly what the fishing was like so you know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words :happy: .

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well glad to see you managed at least a few fish.
I fished peterhope yesterday and only hooked two fish and lost them both seems like it was a slow weekend in most of the lakes around merrit.

on another note would you have a better picture of that fly it looks interesting ?
cheers
Oliver

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
my dad and i also headed up to fish these lakes on Sunday for the day. and yes fishing was tough and those tiny chronies they were eating, jeesh i didnt have anything that small in that colour. my dad managed a few on a size 12 chromie in Leighton and did reveal when he got his (small window of catching) they were feeding on them. i put it on and managed one hit but wasnt looking. I did hook the first fish but lost it in the air (long leader not great control) the wind then picked up like mad and would slide our anchors across the bottom :pissed: so we decided to head up to Tunkwa and just go out a bit from the far end launch area. we managed a few more there casting a small green nymph (hare's ear i think its called) or should i say i was getting lots until he put on the same fly then i got nothing after and he got some :confused: its weird how it works that way sometimes. all in all we brought home 6 fish all around 1.5-2.5 lbs for my g/f's mom to eat :thumbup: otherwise they would have been released.

weather was great even though Weather Network said it was supposed to be cloudy :happy: :happy: Im sporting a nice sunburn on my forearms to prove it. :thumbup:

We also stopped in at Reaction (logan lake) and they said the lakes had started to slow mid week due to the fact the fish are gorging themselves and all pretty full :'( figures :'( another week from now and it should be gangbusters up there.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spotted you guys on Leighton. We where just coming in to go back to camp for some breakfast when you guys where heading out. I was coming around the island when you guys where heading over by the weed bead. Glad you guys got some.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hook,
Thanks for the report. I'm heading up to Merritt area in 10 days and I can't wait. Haven't fished Tunka or Leighton, but I'll have to wander that way some day. Any word on Kane Valley and Davis Lake area?

Oh, it's gonna be a long week. Must tie or I'll die from waiting.

Peace,
B-Daddy. O0

BTW, nice fish your dad caught.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
HAHA well im planning another trip for the weekend after next, just not sure which lake to head to (wanna head somewhere new) and DUH i just realized thats the Roche Lake weekend LOL my dad wont be around. so who knows maybe i will be up there.

I would imagine the Davis chain is picking up and Boss is a great little lake.

When we were at Leighton the guys from FISHBC were there doing "something" as i dont know what it was exactly. Now i asked him about another lake nearby called Ware lake. has anyone fished this lake? whats it like? he said they stock it annually with 4000Bows and they average 1-3lbs

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
ya i knew they were doing that LOL just not sure what they were doing with them at the beach when we showed up. one guy was identifying which strain they were and other guy was writing it down. anyone know the reason for doing this?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Fly guy ,thanks for the link to the video

Hook, They are taking brood stock from leighton and tunkwa currently as the majority are blackwater/pennask strain fish and they are determining age and acceptable broodstock as not all spawners will be used. they divide them into different pens and then take the right pen when they have enough of the same age group.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
cool thanks Swift :thumbup: i thought thats what they were doing but when we got there they were tossing all the fish back in the lake and not in the truck anymore :peace: so i was thrown off by it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.