BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit Tunkwa Lake this last weekend. Weather was marginal. Sunny and cloudy but a fairly stiff COLD wind. Freezing at night.
Fishing was slow all around.
Arived Friday night to see Thousands of Large fish Jumping everywhere and right through the night as I was trying to sleep.
Woke up Saturday morning had some breakfast and hit the lake in the belly boat. Water was freaking cold. Fish were still jumping like mad but no takers on many different offerings. Gave up the belly boat around noon, as I couldnt feel my lower extremidies and took out a real boat. Hit many different areas and still nothing on the fly. Lake is still too cold for the most part with coronies and flies.
Saw one guy slaying them with a boober and some shrimp from shore. So if you cant beat them.... join them. Sunday Morning I pulled out the old casting rod and sat on shore. Caught two fish. One about 2lbs and the other about the size of a Captain highliner fish stick.
The freezing cold nights and the slow fishing still made for a great weekend out.

On a side note, very sad to see the beautiful scenery desimated by the pine beatle. Clear cutting in full effect there now. very sad to see....

I'd say two more weeks and fishing should be good.
Tight lines
Rob

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Nice fish, Rob.....Saw quite a few of those on Saturday, but, unfortunately none of them found their way to my line...Nice day, up there though....Not much wind but snowed all day Friday and was minus 5 degrees C on Friday night. Some nice hot weather and me thinks the long week end people may do very well there.....Ortho...... 8)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Leighton May 13th 2006

Hey Ortho what lake did you fish :?: Was on Leighton from about 8am-6pm. What a busy day out there must of been close to 100 boats out :shock: Got schooled by my buddy seems he had the bug they wanted :roll:.I managed to land some in the 16-18" range and missed quite a few more takes.Chronimids, Green with red rib seemed to be the ticket sz 14-18 in about 4-6' of water. My friend landed some nice 20"+ hook benders.The fish I pumped had lots of small chronies silver with red rib, red with brown ribs and some tiny scuds. Lots of guys out fishing yesterday but everyone was courteous.Funny thing was when we got there my friend asked an older fellow "hows the fishing" and was ignored. Once he started catching, all of sudden the older fellow wanted to chat :lol: Saw one guy flip his boat on the way into the launch...the look on his face :shock: What a day to forget the camera :evil: I think your right, the fishing is only going to get better this week. Damn work :cry:

-RC

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
We ended up on Tunkwa, and faught though the wind most of the day, and came up with a big fat zero.. :cry: :cry: ..The lake for the most part was dead people wise...Now I know where everyone was. :? I knew we should'a pulled up and hopped over to Leighton. Anyhow by 3 o'clock we'd had enough on the chop and headed home.

Finder

F

·
0 Posts
Hi all - I'm headed to Tunkwa for the May long. Has anyone been there lately? I'm hoping that the water has warmed up a bit. I f anyone has a report it wwould be helpful.

·
Registered
550 Posts
We ended up on Tunkwa, and faught though the wind most of the day, and came up with a big fat zero.. ..The lake for the most part was dead people wise...Now I know where everyone was. I knew we should'a pulled up and hopped over to Leighton. Anyhow by 3 o'clock we'd had enough on the chop and headed home.
Too bad I missed you guys.I remember last year I fished Leighton and got skunked, found out later guys on Tunkwa are getting them...go figure :roll:

-RC

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hello! Did any of you, FF or Rob, take a gander at the spawning channel/creek area? Last year, around this time, there were lots of LARGE (5+ lbs) fish in the middle of their spawn. As well there were a lot of post spawners schooling in the shallows (2-3 lbs) near the boat launch . When these fish make the turn and start feeding again the fishing should heat up! A warm spell of weather will help too. Time to stock up on chrons and micros! Haven't tied any! Can't wait to get up there! Cheers! -Nathan in NW

·
Registered
917 Posts
Well - all I can say is that it was a very enjoyable day with you guys (FF, Ortho, and Ian). Funny thing is - we would have had a better chance of landing a fish if we just held our nets out and waited for a fish to jump in! Anyway - I'm sure we'll be hitting those lakes a few more times this Spring! Cheers!

·
Registered
247 Posts
hook and i are going to tunkwa from may20 till 24 and will let you know how we do. the nice thing is if it is slow we can hop into lieghton and check it out as well, especially if the wind gets going. we are stopping to try out kidd lake on our way up on sat. if your on tunkwa on the long weekend look for us on the water, i'm always wearing the tell tale hat!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wagon...heading up there tomorrow May 19th. Im taking my buddy (Flyboy21), first time fly fishing. Gave him the "Golden Rule" of Tunkwa, do not let go of your rod. Fished a brand new $700 Sage out of Tunkwa last year, this year its my rod and Im destined for a 5lb'der. Will look for the hat. Were in a 10ft boat with an electric, probably 3 of us, one guy (flyfish21) is rather large, blonde dude about 6'3, 270lbs. If we see ya, well give ya a wave. Good luck out there, hopefully its nuts for fishing !!

Tight lines...

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
hey there Blaze

i will be there as well with Wagonmaster

look for my Blue Dakota with the bcfishingreports stickers on the back windows that'll be us

im in a blue, orange and black tube. my dads is light blue and orange ( i think )

well he has the Cowboy hat on ALL the time anyway

hope to see you guys out there

we aer leaving SAT morning and maybe stopping at another lake during the day to try our luck so look for us SAT night or SUNDAY

HOOK

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey....good luck up there guys!........................So, the consensus is...........next time Ortho stays home, 'cause he's the reason we got blanked!. 8) .......Fish Finder listens to the other guys, 'cause he's the reason we got skunked! :lol: ..... Fly Fishin' Majician leaves the bananas at home 'cause he is the reason we got skunked!. :cry: .........AND finally Ian R gets left at the garage to study for his final, cause sudying anything but fishing is DEFINITELY a reason for all the other guys getting nothing but sunburns and sore legs!! :wink: .......
Let us know if things pick up, guys.....I'll be on the two wheeler this weekend........Ortho

·
Registered
550 Posts
May Long....GONG

I'll be in the area this weekend. Not sure if were gonna make it down to Tunkwa/Leighton, if I do will keep an eye out for you guys. Most likley be fishing some higher elevation lakes, looks like the weather should hold out for the weekend 8)

LOL Ortho you remind me of a coffee mug I have :lol:

-Mike

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey Mike..Is that because I'm short and round or because of all the excuses? :wink: Hope ya get a few this weekend, my friend...............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Leighton on May 21

I drove up and stayed at a cabin at chataway and fished BILLY LAKE on Sat. one 8" don't think the lake turned over yet its higher elev. then thanks to you guys i headed up to Leighton because Tunkwa was very windy. I was there 4 hrs. and had 4 fish . i caught my largest BOW @ 18 3/4" what a thick hog. thanks for all the tips on this forum to give me a great heads up. there was a may fly hatch on in leighton so i sat by the cabins and the fish where jumpin like mad tried shrimp, damsel dryfly, but i caught 3 on cromeys with red rib. and the big one was on tight green with gold bead. This is my first time fish'n with a chromamid and indacator. Takes patience but works well there! again thanks for all the tips ya'll share! bye for know! :wink: :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
It was hook and wagon master!

Hey I was up at leighton fish'n on Sun. I swear I was talkin to ya! it was at the campsite and i had the pontoon and grey mazda!! Well how did you guys do?
By the way that is a SWEET HAT!! Well hope you had a good long weekend and by the way yes I did get in BIG trouble :cry: from the wife for being 6 hrs. late :oops: Oh well only ya'll would understand the addiction that we have lol :lol: Was nice to unformally meet you two. How do i post pics on this forum? Till our lines cross again :wink:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts