BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I started two years and one month ago in my hunt for Steelhead. At the time I was using my 8wt fly rod. I stuck to the fly rod for the first year and a half, then I broke down and got myself a cheap drift rod, and when I say cheap I mean cheap, this rod has metal furrels. I did not what to spend my hard yearned cash on a rod that would probably never see a fish. I was using and still using a reel that was my Dads that I got when he passed away, a Penn 315 GTI. A little large for the Vedder but heck it was free. Well today I went out and landed my first Steelhead on the drift rod. Now I can go back to my fly rod and try for one on the fly and be happy, I know that there are fish in that darn river after all. A huge thanks to everyone I have talked to on the river, everyone here on the board, a super huge thanks goes out to Bent Rod for the jigs he gave oout at the fish out. That is what I got my steelhead on today. I figure it was about a 12-15lb fish, wild, the only time he left the water was on his own power, and that was about 6 times, I brought him to shore and popped the hook out with out having to take him out of the river. He is a picture of him coming into shore, sorry for the qualitie but I stopped packing my camera since it was dead weight and there were no fish to take pictures of, this was taken with my phone.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Congrats man sounds like a well deserved fish.

It took me almost 2 years to catch my first steelie, then again I was 14 and my fishing time was regulated by how many times my non-fishing father would drive me out to the flow.

Looks like a nice fish and must have been a beauty day on the flow!

· Registered
201 Posts
My first came the first season, but I started my hunt in dec and finally landed my first on march 31. The very next year I didnt get one at all. But my 3rd year I end the season with 15 steelheads, once you catch on you really catch on. Good job on the first, take that confidence you gained, and use it to your advantage, and many more will come.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
awsome fish, chromer, way to go on your first. I got my first before i actually tried hard to hook one, it was just another day fishing for coho on the cap in june and boom i hook this fish that didn't fight like any coho i ever hooked and i finally get it in and its a 10lb wild steely in bright rainbow colouration, still had lots of chrome on it, just had a red stripe and rosey cheeks. for me the first wasn't the hardest, it took me a whole year to get my second

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.