BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought there used to be a topic where everyone listed their favourite fly tying book. In any case, I couldn't find it so thought I'd start one :confused:

I need suggestions on which book(s) to purchase for tying trout flies. I mainly fish the lakes on Vancouver Island and occasionally I'll dip into a stream, but rarely.

Thanks guys :beerchug:

·
Registered
33 Posts
My main book: Fly Patterns for Stillwaters by Phil Rowly. This book was MADe for BC stillwater fly tying!

Has all the patterns you will need, and great descriptions by Phil. My #1 book.

There's also a one I picked up at Canadian Tire. I think the name is The Art of Fly Tying or something. Wasn't too expensive. Other than the first book, everything else you need to know, or any other patterns can be found on the net. There's a thread on here with different links to fly tying sites, check them out! :cheers:

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you want recipes just go to the sites listed here on the forum. I've found lots of flys that when tied have filled in a lot of the gaps that I've been missing for years on how to tie to get a certain look etc.
I don't think that I'll purchase another and if I do it will have to be very special.
Some of the sites even give step by step photo instructions better than most books.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
For river fishing, Dave Hughes "Trout Flies - a tier's reference" is unbeatable. Not only full of trout recipes and photos (a couple hundred different flies) but the 400+ pages are full of fishing tips for each fly, by a consumate western fly fisherman.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Warrior, the book I was talking about at Canuck Tire is all about techniques! Has everything in there, and was $20. If you want a book for that, the price was right, and I still use it, just to make sure I'm doing things properly!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.