BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
cut the mesh into a square(you can buy the mesh/spawn net at pretty much any place that sells fishing tackle). i place the square on the table then i take roe or single eggs(less messy) and place them on the center of the mesh. i use about 6-8eggs. now it gets kinda tricky, i fold it all together and give it a little twist, so now it should be in the shape of a ball with a "neck" off the top. i use spider wire (also bought where you bought the net) and do about 10 wraps just above the eggs then pull until it breaks. finally cut just above the spider wire...

ur done!

hope that makes sense.
-fishey

·
Registered
695 Posts
you're gonna need some spawn net,spider thread and roe(singles perfered)
first cut your spawn net to the desired size,place the eggs in the center of the net and then wrap in an upward motion like a dumpling,after give the roe cluster a twist til net is tight,then take one end of the spider thread and wrap around the twisted part of the net and shes done just cut off excess and your ready to go.You could do this with roe chunks but first cut them to size before placing them in the net. :cheers:

scruffy

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
There is a couple of small details missing in the roe bag/egg tie mystery...The colour of the spawn sac you use is very important. They come in a couple of shades of pink, hot pink, white, red and chartreause and a couple of others.....Best thing to do is a litle experiment with the varying colours and add small/different coulours of wool and see which one works the best, depending on where you are fishing.
Locally the red/pink colours seem to work best for coho, the all red spawn sacs seem to be the best for springs, and the hot pink for steelhead.
As far as the eggs go, the water hardened eggs of chum or spring salmon work the best. They are durable and will last for a dozen casts or more, even in fast water...Regular cured roe will "milk out" a little faster, but works very well, also..........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
243 Posts
fishortho said:
Regular cured roe will "milk out" a little faster, but works very well, also..........Ortho 8)
This is a very good point. I've talked to alot of guys who prefer this method because it "milks" more and leaves a better scent trail. Try both methods and let us know how you do.

Also if you want to use the single eggs method, you can puncture one of the eggs in the sack which will add to the "milking"/scent trail, however the egg sack will be more loose and will have more room in it. :peace:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Fairweather fisherman said:
Can anybody tell me how to get the roe bag to sit nicely on the hook/leader?

When I put it through the bait loop the hook always bends back from the pressure of the loop on the sack. Am I doing anything wrong or is this just the way you fish with these.
Just drive the hook point through the mesh right under the knot and let it sit in the middle of the bend of the hook. I've never had a problem with this type rigging.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A part of the info from FishOrtho...

Is ??? 12 or so casts all that one gets from a Roe Sack????

It would seem to mean that one changes quite often...could be my problem as I change
after 25-30 or when the bag discombobulates...

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you have added a piece of wool to your sac you may get more than 12 drifts. You can drift your roe bag more than 12 times but you should be sure the eggs still have something to milk out. If your roe bag is not producing scent you are just fishing mesh in which case you might as well fish yarn in an bait loop. With yarn in the sac it will prolong the scent as yarn holds scent and provide some shape to the bag as the eggs 'deflate'.

The other option I have tried is using a small piece of yarn in the baitt loop and a roe bag. The though is if the roe bag comes off or deflates there is still an effective presentation. That being said I am not sure if having two presentations on one hook hinders success. There is a distinct gap between the yarn and the roe bag.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
IMHO If there are steelhead present in the run you'r fishing, they will be on the offering you are presenting within 12 casts. If not, change up then move on. Don't know about the rest of you but if they are there and in the mood, usually the first 10-12 casts should produce results...No need to flog a place all day.
The roe bags need to be changed, as does shhrimp and other baits...If you are using scents, then they should be redone every 10-12 casts......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
10-12 drifts might not always cover the run, but yes if they are in the mood and you put your offering in front of them they will take. i think 10-12 drifts will cover the area you think fish hold in a run. i agree baits should be changed often, but not everybait will last as long as the last, you just need to go with your gut on the apperence and form of your bait. if you dont like it change it. you will know when you need to change you offering simply by time spent fishing it. for example i find that my egg sacks hold up very well and i know i can get at least 15-20 drifts with them, and then i will ad scent if i want to fish it some more. Time on the water will let you know. good luck, stsfisher

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.