BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tying skills are slowly improving, and I'm realizing that my entry-level vise just is not good enough. I'm starting to look for a nice rotary vise, but want to spend a lot less than some of the prices I am seeing. Are there any recommendations for any particular brands or models?

B

·
Registered
338 Posts
I was at my very entry-level vise this morning, and I started thinking the very same thoughts. I decided not to post because I am an unemployed student who has a tast for really expensive fishing gear. Right now all my spare money has to go towards really expensive fishing gas. But I would really enjoy hearing some informed opinions on this one.
One thing I don't know is, is there really any benifit to a fancy vise?

·
Registered
694 Posts
If you have the coin to spend on a nice vice cool, for myself I've been tying for the last bunch of years on the same regal knock-off that was bought for me for $40. I've tied everything from size 22 to 3/0. I can tie classic spey and dee patterns down to my standard tom thumbs and scuds. I'd like something a bit better, but you have to decide if you like tying flies or fishing them more, then decide where the money should go.

For myself, I like casting way more than tying flies, so my money goes into rods. To each their own. :cheers:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey guys

I check out some of these vises and now after seeing that Peak vise, I want one :naughty:

Been using a cheap nock off for years and it is starting to were out and do a few things that are starting to bug me. The price for the peak is great for what you get, just can't justify some of the prices for the high end ones.

Centerpin 8)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to check out the Danvise. The price is definitely right, and they mention that my local shop (shameless plug for Highwater Tackle) is a dealer.

My old vise just doesn't cut it any more, and I'm a left-handed tyer as well, so this rotary will help.

Cheers,

B

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
i purchased the knock off regal aswell, 39 bucks. Alot easier to do anything, hackle, wrap chinelle, wrap marabou, wrap lead. Just a joy to tie with. I haven't gone down past size 10's but if i need to atleast i'll know i can tie 22's

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After doing some research, I decided to follow your advice rshew, and went with the Danvise, and have been tying on it for about a week. I'm really happy with it, and feel it is an excellent value for the $69.

Thanks for the tips guys!

B

·
Registered
587 Posts
any one use these knock offs for any length of time? I find my old one to be frustrating these days and am thinking of a new one but worried that I would be buying another one in my near future if I bought a knock off. Any thoughts?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.