BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning.

In an earlier post, someone mentioned stopping at the Pacific Net and Twine in Parksville on my way through - a good place to pick up a few replacement prawn traps.

Looking at their stuff on-line, http://www.pacificnetandtwine.com/?cat=2242,2851,3216&SESS=9c43b4468d111dd117924e2a2ba39b18&filter= it appears that there are two main "types". A round cage with stiff wire that kinda of stays "assembled". They also have some that "collapse" and are primarily made out of a mesh like material.

Im looking for a little direction - - - any preference on which style would be best to buy???

thanks, mark

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I prefer the "rigid" traps like are on your right. Having said that.....if space is it a minimum on your boat the folding traps may be a better call.

The thing to remember is "if" space is at a minimum is to remember you are usually dropping your traps right as you head out on your excursion for the day. We put them down en route to fishing and pick em' up on the way in so they don't spend too much time in the boat.

·
Registered
125 Posts
go with the round type. heavier traps are better, they dont bounce around. with the folding type, it may seems to be cheaper but you would need to buy lots of lead to keep that thing down. while you are there, pick up 500ft leaded line + 7lb weight + large bouy. thats if you dont have them.

one more thing, bigger traps will catch more prawns.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Buy some commercial traps they work great and don t take up any more space . They are heavy so they don t drift as much. They are usually listed on craigs list. I bought 4 for 30 $ each and my catch rate went up. With all the time and effort put into it any advantage is nice. I don t use the weight , but like whale said leaded line for sure , I put 2 of the commercials on 500 ft of line in 250 ft of mater and it works great but back breaking to pull up . Worth it when prawning is good. Oh ya I do use the trap on the left non collapsing and it works too I belive if its the same one I have it doubles as a crab trap and bottom fish trap as it has big openings. this trap did stat to fall apart on me and I did not like pulling up crab and rock cod from 300 ft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts