BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to fishing salmon and I need help with understanding salmon runs. If you have basic information to share or a good website, I would be very grateful. I've read a few posts on when the pinks are good fishing. What is good fishing for right now? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Youngfisher, I suggest you go to a libary... it's a thing with books in it used proir to the web ;D. However, here is a general run down of the life-cycle of pacific salmon:
Chinook: they live 4 to six years depending on the run. Egg are laid late Summer to winter, generally, They hatch in the late winter and strart feeding and going down river. The smolt start aggresively feeding and by the end of that summer early fall the water off rivers like the fraser are full of 8" to twelve inch shackers in top 30' feet of water. Most then head to the open ocean feeding on the off shore banks and traveling thousand of mile. In the spring of the fourth year for most runs they start returning to the river with runs that go furthest up stream hitting the river first (There are execption, some chinook come up river in the winter, but this is rare, system specific.) The run is at its highest around the begining of August - an exeption are the white spings, they highest in sept, heading mostly for he haturies at the Vedder and Cap. Another exeption is the Jack spring, a mature male that comes up river after 2 or three years, most likely to expaned or mix the gene pool.
Coho: they live 3 years. Eggs are layed in the fall and hatch mid-winter with fish then going down river. In the first year at sea they will only eat planton and don't grow very fast. But in January or Febuary of the second year at sea they become very aggresive feeders. Going from 12" and under a pound to an average of 7 pound in September. The generally come up river later than springs starting in late August and going till November - the Cap is an exeption fish generally head up river there starting in July but they are markedly smaller.
As for the rest I'll let other write for them or post later if I'm board at work.
have fun, Jason.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
YF you have come to the right place. Information in this forum is some of the best available. Lots of helpful peopl ewho will answer many of your questions although they are not likely to give up their favourite secret spot ( I know I don't).

It depends on what type of fishing and what species you want to target, but stay tuned. You will find this place a mountain of info. :thumbup:

Just never ever type the word "flossing" :naughty: ;D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.