BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scoop from an email I received this evening...

DFO had a conference with the Upper Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Advisory Committee this evening to announce that the area between the Mission Bridge and Hope will be closed to salmon fishing as of midnight Sunday.

DFO was seeing a lot of non-selective fishing (bottom bouncing) and was very concerned about the impact on Sockeye. Therefore the decision was made to close that portion of the river. Some media are onto it, and it should be in the news tomorrow. The First Nation food fishery is also closed to allow the Sockeye to go through. There may be some very limited fishing by FN's for ceremonies (funerals etc.) but the fishing will be extremely limited. Needless to say nobody is happy, but getting fish to the spawning grounds was paramount.

Just a heads up to all us crazy, opinionated fishermen out there...Don't go fishin' salmon on the Fraser Monday anywhere within the closure area.

Sturgeon, etc...will still be open, and salmon fishing below the mission bridge is fair game.

Thanks for reading.

Ribwart

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think this is good news as it keeps all the gong show crowds at home and leave the sockeye unmolested. From a sheer conservation perspective (keeping in mind IF the DFO has a clue) shutting down the river now may help the sox get through. If we have to sacrifice some pink salmon early in the season (and maybe the complete season in the upper section above Mission) then so be it. It seems to me somehow that as soon as we get what we ask for, we start complaining about it. ::)

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, that's a good point scruffy...

The closure area is large enough and effective enough that it limits opportunities on the Fraser to bottom bounce, not much in the way of spots to floss effectively below mission, so it might very well be that many will take the method of crazy long leaders with them to other waters...

We should keep an eye out for that while on the rivers the next few weeks so we can see if that is actually happening or not...

Then anglers can report back here with the data.

thanks,

rib

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another quick note,

Here's a brief excerpt from the Notice sent out a while back regarding the DFO request:

• Bar Fishing
• Trolling Spoons at Creek mouths
• Float Fishing
• Pulling Plugs

We encourage you to continue to use these methods to target Chinook while avoiding sockeye.

Please note that bottom bouncing is NOT a selective fishing method and is strongly discouraged during the migration of Early Stuart sockeye and a “no fishing for sockeye” restriction is in place.

The Upper Fraser Valley Sport Fish Advisory Committee (SFAC) and its member groups strongly encourage all anglers to fish selectively for Chinook with methods not likely to catch sockeye during this time period.

Should DFO feel that the rate of compliance is insufficient to ensure the safe passage of the Early Stuart sockeye spot closures or a “no fishing for salmon” restriction may result.

This message is brought to you by the Upper Fraser Valley SFAC. For more information about the SFAC go to:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Species/SFAB_e.htm

Sounds pretty cut and dry to me. Obviously the "rate of compliance" was less than DFO felt was required to allow the fish "safe passage", thus the "no fishing for salmon restriction" was put in place.

Therefore, a quick heads up!!! to everyone reading this thread,

Do not turn this thread into another ridiculously bitter and heated debate, there are other threads already in place for that purpose.

(Any posts counteracting this "request" of mine for this thread from here on in will be removed, and warnings will be issued.)

Thank you,

Ribwart

·
Registered
911 Posts
This is not to debate the topic, but this still doesn't solve the flossing epidemic, and only punishes those of us who did comply. As scruffy put it they will only be looking for new water to cover, boy I hope the vedder doesn't see any big numbers soon. It's too bad though I never thought I would see the day the Faser is closed for salmon. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Crazy D

·
Registered
612 Posts
Wait till you see the protests that may occur if this total closure takes place....
I have been hearing of guides that are thinking of fishing under protest and/or holding a major protest at DFO offices...I will just sit and wait and abide with the regs for now...
Got two clients coming in Monday from Toronto who will undoubtedley not want to go just sturgeon fishing and will cancel on me...
Thats the thanks I get for using Selective Methods to not Interact with sockeye... Only have had to release one sockeye this season that somehow got hooked on my large spin'n glo that had been in the rod holder for 15 minutes....
Nice to have the rest of the Bottom Bouncing folks ruin it for the whole sport fishers who are heeding DFO's requests . Hope the pink runs are going to open so we can at least get the kids out to get pumped for fishing...Nothing wrong with that in a few weeks...!!! :confused:
Oh well,,,I quess the Harrison will get a workout for other species, or I may just have to bolt on the wake tower and go tubing and skiing.. :pissed:
Guiding doesn't put the food on the table in my house,but it does help a bit to pay for other recreational activities with the family..
I feel sorry for those who rely on this resource for their families income and survival... :'(

·
Registered
708 Posts
best part is this closure does not stop anyone from snagging/flossing and c'n'r the salmon they catch. Purchase a steelhead and have at it. It's only a salmon closure at this time BUT the FN's are pushing extremely hard today to get ALL sport fishing from Steveston to Prince George closed. They seem to think that the bb'ers will move down to Langley or Richmond or up to Hell's Gate and catch sockeye's there. May still be more news today about this salmon closure. DFO also seems to think that they bber's will catch 44,000 sockeye and kill at least 4400 of them by c'n'r. Seems like a high percentage to me. According to some one within DFO the river may not be reopened to fish for pinks in just a few short weeks due to pressure from FN's.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When they close the river, close it to EVERYONE, quit with the whole rights thing and close the whole river. Its not fair to blame it all on one type of sport fishers. How many fish lose their life to bottombouncers compared to nets.The closure of sport fishing is like taking a bb gun to war. come on. Im not saying its a bad thing to have a closure, lets the stocks get better, but why should nets be allowed? How many fish are taken per day from nets on the fraser! Sorry, but like the DFO officers are gonna go through the headache of busting FN netters. They will say its for a ceremony, or funeral, or just tell the officers to get lost.my :2cents:

·
Registered
708 Posts
the reason the nets are allowed is there is an allowable fishery for FN's on chinooks so they will selectivly fish with gill nets for chinook only. The mesh size increases so that the sockeye can swim through and the nets then selectivly catch only the larger chinooks. Check with any old time gill netter and they will tell you that the nets will catch no sockeye. Sporties on the other hand can not selectively bottom bounce and therefore are kicked out of the river.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's official :pissed:

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Subject:
FN0597-RECREATIONAL: SALMON - Region 2 - Non-tidal Waters of the Fraser River

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effective 00:01 hours Monday August 20, 2007 until further notice, there is no
recreational fishing for all Salmon species from the downstream side of the CPR
Bridge at Mission upstream to the Highway No. 1 Bridge at Hope, BC.

Current run size estimates of 120,000 Early Summer-run sockeye and 750,000
Summer-run sockeye are significantly below preseason expectations of 690,000
and 3,369,000, respectively. The limited amount of TAC remaining is required
for First Nations food, social and ceremonial purposes.

The Departments first priority is to ensure that there is sufficient sockeye
escapement to the spawning grounds for conservation purposes. The Department
is also committed to providing top priority, after conservation, to First
Nations fishing for food, social and ceremonial purposes.

Despite a no fishing for sockeye regulation for the sport fishery, DFO
continued to observe and receive reports that sockeye were being encountered in
the recreational fishery.

DFO is implementing this salmon closure in the recreational fishery to ensure
the above priorities are provided. This salmon closure will be reviewed
weekly.

Recreational fishing opportunities for trout, steelhead and sturgeon and other
non-salmon species remain open.

Variation order 2007-305 is in effect.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The day that anyone thinks fishing from Richmond to Prince George on the Fraser is the sole domain of any group is a sad day for the citizens of this fair province indeed .
I hope it never degrades to that point, or there will be more than a bunch of bellyaching and complaining ...
Sportfishing actually places money in the economy of many many small communities..
I sincerely hope DFO is able to balance between conservation, bankruptcy and equal administration of rights in some of the small communities effected if they actually take seriously a request to close the entire Fraser River sport fishery..

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is Bull shit! Why do we all have to pay for for a bunch of bottom bouncers! Instead of ASKING people to use a selective method, why dont they TELL to STOP. TELL them there is to be a leader length of 30 inch max, and fine anyone whos gear works towards flossing! Right when the river is finally dropping into shape for some good bar fishing time, they have to close it for the rest of us sport fishers! This is bull, they know 99% of the sockeye are caught by BB and nets, so why punish the rest of us! If they really want to conserve and help the sockeye they would lessen/ stop the portion of sockeye taken by the comericals, and end native nettings(not selective, nor controlable), and end bottom bouncing. Of course everyone will complain, but we want to keep our GREAT salmon river. Forget about the money behind this 12 Million dollar fishery, and put our fish first, our sport fishing second. Overal we need to figure out a balance to keep everyone happy, and are fish stocks Healthy. Gone fishing, will report back tonight! :thumbup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
What sucks is that I didn't even get out yet. Steely brought up EXACTLY what I was thinking. Don't ASK , Tell. Making it volentary only opens the door for failure.
Seems to me that restricting leader length would have been a better option. But, if the run is truly in such poor shape, then maybe closing it isn't such a bad idea. :2cents:

·
Registered
131 Posts
DFO needs to start to grow some balls! Pardon the expression, but before there are no fish left to play political correctness games with.
They have to do what ever is necessary to protect our Salmon.
1. A closure is a closure and should apply to all white, brown, black,or other, Canadian and non Canadian peoples.
2. Need to set strict rules concerning allowable fishing methods during openings.
3. Impose big fines against anyone caught using illegal methods.
4. Get message to Ottawa the state of B.C. fishery and demand legislation where needed and budget increases in an effort to save the Salmon.
5. Say no to FN fisheries netting or other when a closure is in effect, let it be known that it is not a racially or politically motivated decision but a Salmon motivated one.

The media and all special interest groups need to begin to work together for a change instead of blaming and pointing fingers at one another and demand awareness and action concerning all Salmonoid species in B.C. waters.
I hate to hazard a guess but if I am correct and these things don't begin to happen and soon there will in a short few years be no need for us to be debating the plight of B.C. Salmon, it will be too late!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.