BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have just had a week fishing the Bulkley River and here's an update: I started fishing Sept 23 in Smithers when the water was low and clear. I caught 3 steelies the first morning. Next morning the water started to get milky and was rising. By the end of the day it was very milky, the concensus being that the snow/glacial melt up the Telkwa valley was the cause. Moved up to be above the Telkwa on Sept 25th where the river was still clear and low. Fished until Sept 28th in the Walcott/Quick/Telkwa area....river very crowded and only a few fish being caught. On Sept 29th, the river below the Telkwa was still milky and unlikely to change in the short term because of the warm weather, so headed home. Second hand reports of the Morice (slow), Copper (blown out - same mtns provide the same source as the Telkwa). Some people were heading for the Kispiox but no reports heard. Heading back there on Oct 10th hoping the crowds will be smaller, the weather cooler and the Telkwa clear!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also fished the Bulkley from the 24th-27th....Walcot, Quick, Telkwa stretch....same situation, clear with lots of pressure above the Telkwa. Fly fishing we managed to hook 4, but unable to land any. Fished the Kispiox on the 28th and 29th, hooking 3, landing one. River was in good shape with some traffic, but not bad, expected a few more fish given the recent rains. Three fly fisherman....one for seven in six days of fishing....I'll let you make the call on how good that is :?

·
Registered
15 Posts
clear and cool is the forecast for this week...Bulkley river is getting a lot of pressure even below the Telkwa (Hazelton) but the crowds and more importantly the guides :x should dissipate to the Skeena and Kispiox rivers this week.

Tried to fish the Kispiox and Saturday but it was quite high but should be good today

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hear what you are saying double haul - seems like the fish just aren't here right now.

Fished the mainstem hard last week for 2 days with 4 guys - not even a touch between 4 of us. Fished a full day on the Kispiox, another 2 on the Bulkley, and one on the Copper - my buddy got one fish on the Bulkley and so far that is the only fish I've even seen caught - a lot of anglers and not a lot of fish. I'm still waiting for my first tug..... kind of depressing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i know, everyone seems to be struggling right now. heading up to the nass area this weekend - maybe that will change my luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nass... Blown out.

Just got back from the Nass... fished Tuesday and Wednesday
The river (estuaries) are way up and dirty... (not fishable) coho should be in the system shortly.
Will try again next weekend (Nass West)

:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bulkley has its moments the fish are getting less hook shy a few less out of town fishermen
just got back from a long lunch break and hooked and landed four in an hour and a half
some nice lenghts 27, 30, 33 and a massive 40 inch fish
thats what i like :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wouw! 4 in an hour and a half!
That's nice Mykiss, for me this only happenend on September 24th, 1998.
One day fishing at the Kispiox, hooked 9 and landed 7 and one of them was my biggest so fa, a 43" big buck!
I will never forget that date anymore (also because it's the birthday of my ex :D )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts