BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,,,,since I am unable to fish with one arm after shoulder surgery,I decided to give all the Abu reels(6) the yearly strip down and cleaning.....I found a couple of minor parts that were getting worn from heavy use...
After talking with Mike at Mike's Reel repair, I decided to give my 6500 C4 a complete makeover,which included,new style ceramic bearings on the spool,a new ball bearing idler gear,new style worm gear with stainless bearings on both ends of the gear and new carbon fibre drag washers......My brass gears were showing signs of wear so I replaced them with slightly lower ratio new ones..Instead of 6.5-1 I went with 5.3-1 which will be a little better for the bigger fish...
My impression of the reel after the redo is very good..I haven't fished it yet,but, it is so smooth now with the extra bearings and new gears...Spinning the spool now in cast mode is wild,,,it spins for over 30 seconds on its own. To say I'm impressed is an understatement. One will just have to be careful with the hail mary casts as a backlash could happen easier now with the faster spool speed...
The rest of my reels got a good cleaning,new drag washers and lubed.....Don't think I'll do the upgrading to the reels my guests fish with,I'd be clearing backlashes all day....
These new parts have come out in the last few months and are a very easy install...If you are interested in any of them give me a shout....I would be happy to help you install any or all of them over a coffee if you're out this way...

Steve

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey Steve......I have three Abu reels and all of them need some work. My recent addition, the Calc. 400 isn't running as smooth as it should and I have taken it in for check up and told it is fine, but it seems to be a little hesitant at times.....might take you up on the offer. How's the shoulder coming along??..I know a couple of guys that fly fish with "single handers"..... 8) Ortho

G

·
0 Posts
i have an abu 6500 c 4,where can i get info on upgrading reels,it sounds fun!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I wonder, my 7000 could use an upgrade, its 20 years old. The 5500 works beauty though! Thanks steve! My buddy still might want one I'll PM you when I talk to him. Are these upgardes available on older 7000 models??

·
Registered
730 Posts
Steve your amazing my brass beuty feels like she's supercharged--smooth as a babies butt, thanks :p

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i have an older Shimano Bantam MagnumliteBGX2201SGW that i have not used in a long time.......loved that real for coho......i was told at one time it is a nasty real to rebuild because of so many parts.......any one know anything about this one.....i would love to get this one done up again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts