BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Northwest Cascade Power Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of Run of River Power Inc. (ROR) is planning to develop seven run-of-the-river hydro-electric power projects in the Upper Pitt River watershed. ROR has begun the regulatory review process to obtain the necessary permits and approvals for the projects.

The proposed projects will have a combined capacity of 140 MW, providing an important source of clean, green renewable energy. The electricity will be connected to the power grid through one of two transmission routes: one traveling west to connect with the Cheekeye sub-station in Squamish, or the other traveling south to connect with the Port Coquitlam sub-station, in Port Coquitlam. The seven streams are tributaries to the Upper Pitt River, and include Bucklin Creek, Pinecone Creek, Homer Creek, Shale Creek, Steve Creek, Corbold Creek and Boise Creek. The components of each of the projects include a high elevation weir and water intake, penstock, powerhouse and transformer.

The Public is invited to attend two public information sessions to review the proposed projects.

The meetings will be held at the following locations:

In Squamish
Totem Hall Pitt Meadows Public Library
102 - 38551 Loggers Lane
Squamish BC, V8B 0B8
Phone (604) 689-3119
December 6, 2006, 4pm-9pm

In Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge
12047 Harris Road
Pitt Meadows BC, V3Y 2B5
Phone (604) 465-4113
December 7, 2006, 4pm-9pm

Representatives of ROR will be in attendance to answer questions regarding the project. Public comment sheets will be provided to record issues of concern regarding the project. An electronic comment sheet is provided on the ROR web site at http://www.runofriverpower.com/test//projects/pitt.shtml.

To promote public involvement in the process ROR intends to undertake two public information sessions to obtain comments.

1. The First Public Information Session (the currently advertised meetings) is intended to provide the Public with an understanding of the project and provide the opportunity for the Public to identify and discuss issues of concern.

2. The Second Public Information Session is intended to illustrate how Public comments have been considered in the design of the project, and will be undertaken in early 2007.

Additional information about the project is available online or by calling Run of River Power Inc. at 604-946-9232. Website, http://www.runofriverpower.com.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hmm...sounds like an interesting idea. Have they done any study's on the enviromental effects of these turbines. They sound like they don't really interfere with the fishes natural habitat...that much.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I'm workin on it, give me a day or two...I'm a busy guy. I believe I asked you a question about your camera too Sandy....maybe if you want some opinions you might try providing some responses in return. I will however read up on this after Monday, when I have more time, and come back to this then.
Rib

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Sanderson said:
A little snarky there ribby. Why would I go back to a thread where I'm getting slagged for posting a vid of wild steelhead spawning in the wild? I didnt even read anything after my last post on it. See why I dont post anything usefull anymore? Damned if you do, damned if you dont.
yeah maybe a bit snarky...I've read some good posts from you, and know, at least somewhat, what you've got in the way of experience and knowledge...I understand how easy it is to get frustrated with people, believe me, I knew that before I started frequenting sites like these, but at the same time, there is something to be said for what you get from sharing with people who do appreciate it...you can just ignore the rest. Some people even come around somewhat...but that's another story. We're talking pitt river power proposals here...I am going to finish what I need to do, and maybe saturday I can settle in and read up on this subject...
rib

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Sorry Sandy,I really appreciate the input. This is what makes the site so great ! Rib,do I detect a test
comming up on mon.? I know somone else whith one on mon. night @ UBC,a three hour one. :shock:

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Yes a bit of a test coming up...not worth much though...very perceptive of you marko, you have a test monday night, or someone close to you?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Run of the river power generation is a very ecologicaly friendly power generation system. Asmall portion of the river is diverted through a pipe to a turrbine to generate electricity and the back into the river down stream. The generation process does cause an increase in temperqature in the water used, but the volume diverted from the main flow is relatively small and the net increase in water temp downstream from the turbine is not a drastic one. This is an electrical generation system about as renewable and green as wind generation. If you can, attend the meeeting, get the information and ask the pertinent questions. If we don't closely observe the proposals coming forward there is no guarantee that we will end up with a sustainable generation system. If you like what you hear, you can then pressure the regulators to approve the proposal. If you don't, then you can apply your pressure in the other direction.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sanderson said:
A little snarky there ribby. Why would I go back to a thread where I'm getting slagged for posting a vid of wild steelhead spawning in the wild? I didnt even read anything after my last post on it. See why I dont post anything usefull anymore? Damned if you do, damned if you dont.
What comes around goes around sanderson! :lol:

·
Registered
105 Posts
My Dad always told me "If you dont have something nice to say you should keep it to yourself" This doesnt work for every thing , but I think it goes a long way on a public forum which is operated and funded by individuals who have the good of the fishery and the fishermen in mind. Fishing is a sport,and people that post to a sport fishing site should act like sportsmen. Show some respect! :?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Well, I have done some reading...I didn't make it to the public forums on the issue unfortunately, but I do think it sounds like a good idea, especially from an ecological standpoint, it seems it would have less impact than more traditional methods of generating electricity. I do wonder about a couple of things...

Northwest Cascade Power Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of Run of River Power Inc. (ROR) is planning to develop seven run-of-the-river hydro-electric power projects in the Upper Pitt River watershed.
They want to put up seven of these right? On these creeks:

The seven streams are tributaries to the Upper Pitt River, and include Bucklin Creek, Pinecone Creek, Homer Creek, Shale Creek, Steve Creek, Corbold Creek and Boise Creek.
I wonder...each and every one of our rivers have tributaries, and some of these tributaries are significant with respect to spawning of steelhead and salmon. I am curious if any of these streams are major spawning tributaries for the upper pitt?
What impact might reducing the flow on a major spawning trib, even minimally, at the wrong time, have on the fish?

Also will there be guidelines set for how much water they can divert? Will that vary with time of year and fish returns, or salmon and steelhead egg hatches? Some tribs already don't get much flow, and with respect to the water being returned to the main flow, that's all fine and good, but at critical times of the year those spawning tribs are going to be more vulnerable than others...

As for a slight increase in temperature of the water released back into the main flow, is there some way they might be able to adjust that temp before it is released? perhaps a series of shallow ponds before the water makes it back, allowing the water to cool a bit through surface area contact with the air...?

It sounds like a very good idea this proposal, it seems that the selling point is based on its low impact, but its in the location and timing of the impacts that I am interested in...

Like I said, it sounds really good, and I like the idea, I just think there are a few more questions to ask here...

What do you guys think?

Rib

1 - 10 of 10 Posts