BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Barry Penner has just announced that he and his ministry will not be recommending approval of the upper Pitt power projects. This effectively kills the projects :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Congratulations to all who fought this fight!!!! :beerchug:

·
Registered
151 Posts
No WAY!!! That is awesome...

Sweet!
Nicole

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Rick Baerg said:
Very nice, great news! One down 499 to go! :thumbup: :thumbup:

:cheers: Rick
Hey, it's a start! A great start. I've never fished the Upper Pitt, but I have heard nothing but great things about it, and would definately like to head up there when I get a boat of my own one day. Thanks to everyone that contributed to the meeting and all that! Good news!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
wagonmaster said:
AWESOME. :thumbup: :thumbup: now lets hope the power guys just don't plan a longer route to go around the park with the transmission lines.
Exactly! This fight is not over! Pinecone Burke Park has been saved from the powerlines but the river itself is still not safe. There is still another option proposed to run the power lines, more costly but still possible. Their second option is to run power lines through the lake and into the Grant Narrows area and then connect to the grid.

·
Registered
188 Posts
wow. That is great. Thanks to all that went to the meetings and wrote to the parks and that POS Gordo. I got to make two of them and I'd like to thank the speakers that did their homework and had both parks and Run Of River sounding like a bunch of friggin idiots. Hats off to the mla's that came out and to all that sounded like they would have gave their lives to fight this. You guys ROCK !!!!!!

Aww shoot. So the river is still not safe. Is this for real ?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Here's a message I got from a guy that has organised a few of the meetings.

As you may have already heard, today at 12pm Minister Barry Penner announced that he will not allow any powerlines to go through Pinecone-Burke Park. This makes things very difficult for the Upper Pitt project to continue and is a huge victory for all of us.

The opposition last night at the public meeting in Pitt Meadows was overwhelming. Over 1200 people showed up and the media coverage has been remarkable. I wanted to thank each of you for everything that you've contributed to this campaign. We've been able to demonstrate that we have a voice and it has been heard. We need to build on this in the months to come, but for now let's enjoy the victory.

·
Registered
143 Posts
:beerchug: This is a huge step for preserving The Pitt!!!

:confused: Although "Jerko" from Run of River said that as of last night, the Pinecone Burke powerline route was the only option they were seriously considering. Don't think for a minute that they aren't contemplating the more expen$ive South Route. He also has talked about running cable thru the mountain, but then refused to admit that was an option. The profits they stand to make would definitely cover the extra cost.

:naughty: These Greedy Scumbags still have the Provincial Liberal Majority Government pushing their B.S. (Provincial Energy Plan) in order to line their pockets. This "plan" is a sham. It was made while the pricks tied the hands of BC Hydro by denying them the ability to generate more power. Thus an artificial energy shortage was created.

:naughty: Bill 30 was introduced to allow "Gordos' and his like" the ability to give away our natural resources, without any accountability to Local Governments or people like you or I. This Bill needs to be repealed.

:pissed: The battle is still on for The Pitt, and the many other watersheds of this Province. This is a very important, potentially disastrous, problem that everyone needs to be aware of. It is up to the the good guys to stop them.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
This is very far from being over.
I have recieved HUGE interest from all the regular "non users" of the wilderness resource I have spoken with.
It seems they are more than a little concerned with the idea of private and foreign interests controlling BC power.

The real scope of this issue will now come to light and the folks that made the Pitt project a priority will have planted the seeds that can save our watersheds. :thumbup: Thank you to you all.

I attended the small Vancouver protest and as I was not able to be at Pitt Meadows, I was heart warmed to see the HUGE turnout. For those that spoke thank you.

This just goes to show you "media" is everything in these issues.

Now if only media would show interest in the "fish farms" and "gravel removal" issues we could make some headway there.

BC's greatest resource is Tourism, its renewable, brings in foreign dollars and is GREEN, to throw that away for quick money is both foolish and completely lacking in good business skills. SHAME on the Liberals. You will never get my vote "again" :-[

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.