BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
using "pots and pans"

ok guys don't bite my head off, i would like a little bit of info on fishing "pots and pans" (ford fenders and wedding bands). as my kids are now at the age to come fishing with me in the boat i would like to keep them entertained by trolling some gear in our local lakes,chilliwack, alloutte, cultas,etc. but have never fished this way. anyone have any tips on trolling speed or gear choice for such occasions. i did try today on cultas lake before all the skiers where on the lake with no success, using a 2 blade ford fender with a red wedding band (with worm)on one side and a willow leaf on the other side with a green wedding band(with worm). i was trolling my 16foot legend with a 22lb thrust electric motor on high and low to try different speed and depth. any tips would be great. thanks.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Re: using "pots and pans"

good lake for fishing this techinque is Weaver lake :thumbup: use the ford fenders or wedding bands tipped with worms obviously :happy: we used to just troll at the lowest speed my dads 9.9 would do (he called it trolling speed LOL) we did better with smaller worms than with dew worms. I think the best depth was 17 side to sides on a level wind :confused: dont quote me on this im trying to remember from when i was young. I would say put each rod out a different distances to hit different depths and see what works best :thumbup: Im not sure the consistent size of the fish here but i would bet 1-2lb would be the norm but there is some big ones in there. and if you have a fly rod with a fast sink i would troll that also :peace:

· Registered
99 Posts

If you got a sounder it can be very helpful. I found slow trolling works better and you want your rig to be about 20-40 feet off bottom depending on the depth your fishing. Slower trolls are deadly for schooling fish like kokanee.

· Registered
691 Posts

I usually go just fast enough to get the blades a spinnin' You can use the banana weights or slip weights. I do prefer willow leaf set-ups and not too big, then a small wedding band with trout worm or maggot. The biggest draw back is telling when you get a bite or small fish for that matter.

· Registered
318 Posts

if you happen to be using lake downriggers,i found that if you clip your willow leaf to the rigger cable ,not your line,and tie on your normal gear to the rod line, and clip it on,you feel the hits right away and dont have to fight a fish with the willow leaf attached to your line.

· Registered
1 Posts

When we fish fenders and rings for Kokanee we go as slow as possible. If the fenders are turning it's working. Trout will take the gear at slow speeds too. Make sure to use corn and maggots on the hook.
Yosh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.