BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if there is a way to attach a bag of roe to the hook for best effectiveness. I tried it for the first time last week and seemed to make my rod have some action to it. Is there a way that reduces this? Thanks :cheers:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Not bad for the first time out :D :D I just feed the hook through the bag turn the shank and burry the point back in the bag, it keeps the hook some what hidden from thier feelers when they are checkin it out.
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks C_D :beerchug:
Thats the way I would think works best. We tried the "Lunch Special"..... Roe Bag and a Oollie. The current was rippin and I think the way the bag was attached to the leader just made it spin.
As I'm typing this, both those guys are at Berry's buying Joe a Sturgeon outfit. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
This post appears to be more about the rigging rather than the roe, so I will offer the following:
Use a big bait (at least golf ball size and an 8/0 9/0 hook
Wrap the roe with spider line if necessary
In 20 40 ft. of water that has a good current, no need to bag...the coarse fish will be closer to the shore.
Don't wait to long for a hook set this time of the year. Usually they will pick up the bait quickly. Later in the year.....that's another story.
Fish pieces including smelt and oolies and salmon skins need to be folded and wrapped....If the bait spins and is not "natural"...they will leave it alone
Use at least a 3 foot leader....Short leaders sometimes do not allow the bait to lay on the bottom.
After you cast out and the weight hits the bottom slack about and extra 2-3 feet of line to allow for the current.
If your line is too tight to the rod tip, the bait will lift and spin.

Have fun.......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the first roe i put on i just put a big chunk on the hook, and it seemed to be good, but yeah I think with the bag, and the full meal deal we tried, the current just had its way with it. I usually use oolies or fish chunks which i assume would be tougher for the fish to take off the hook, but I imagine with roe or worms you have less time to mess around and have to set it pretty quick. Thanks for the input :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.