BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Minus the head & tail of course.... I tried for just over an hour to do this with a "food saver" machine, and it either wouldn't suck out enough of the air or wouldn't seal properly. I made sure to wipe the slime off the inside of the bag where the seal would be made, it did help and I managed to get what I think is a decent seal but it still seems like there's a fair bit of air in the bag, couldn't bothered with it anymore tonight so I said hell with it and just threw it in the freezer as is. Do any of you guys do this? any tips?

Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Freeze the fish first. Makes life much easier. Place fish on wax paper on a cookie sheet and freeze the next day. Less air is present if you fillet the fish into two halves so their is no stomach cavity for air to stay...
Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
re vacumn sealer

my experience with foodsavers is good , the trick with whole fish is to make sure that the bag is at least 3" longer than the fish as the bag top will buckle and the sealing strip won't work properly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When vacuum sealing whole fish, I always freeze the fish first (enough to make it very firm). Also make sure the bag is long enough so it won"t buckle or fold when sealing.It may be be your machine but I would try these first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ensure bag is longer/bigger than fish by 3". I usually pre-vaccuum but not seal the bag. Pause and squeeze as much air out of bag forcing the air to the top. Take your time and when most of the air is forced up, continue with final sealing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.