BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm an Aussie about to move to Vancouver and am pretty daunted by the breadth of trout and salmon fishing on offer there, not sure where to start.

I've fly fished for trout extensively in Australia and also in New Zealand and Chile.

My initial questions are:

1. I'd be happy to buy the beer if someone would be good enough to show me around some of the local rivers and lakes for some trout and salmon?

2. I'm bringing floating and sink tip set ups on fast action #5 and #7 set ups - am I in the ballpark here or likely to end up with a handful of splintered graphite?

Cheers,
Simon.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Welcome to the country Simon :beerchug:

Whatever works in Australia should work in BC. The 5wt is good for rainbows on the rivers/lakes and the 7wt might be a "little" bit light for the salmon (I recommend an 8 or even a 9wt) but it should be ok.

what brings you to the Country?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Warrior!

I figure my 7wt might be a little slight for the salmon - thanks for the tip.

Looks like I'm about to accept a job with VANOC for the Winter Olympics so packing up the wife and child and coming to live in your fair country. Have always wanted to live in BC/Pacific Northwest as I love the outdoors, big mountains and rivers etc. Have a few Canadian freinds here are they're all top people.

Simon.

·
Registered
517 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Welcom to the forum, 7 wht isn't too bad depending on what your fishing for and what river. You might have to play the fish a little longer though.

Have you ever been to BC? If not prepare to be amazed! Even if you don't fish a hike through the Garibaldi area will blow your mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks MrMugs. Thought I'd be a little outgunned with the 7wt but I'll do my best. What would you suggest for lines a WFF and a sinking line, I was thinkinig a fast sink tip for the salmon, would that work?

No, never been to Canada/BC before so it'll be quite an introduction, very much looking forward to the mountains and rivers.

Simon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.