BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vancouver Sport Fishing Center - Fishing Report August 21st 2013

Things are looking good all around on the local waters surrounding Vancouver. Rivers teeming with pink salmon, sturgeon on the prowl and great salmon fishing have been keeping our clients active.

Salmon Fishing

Our crew has been targeting the mouth of the Fraser River for the most part. Salmon have been staging in that area ready to make their final push up the river. Pink salmon fishing has been very consistent and should be for the next couple of weeks off of the sand heads. Chinook salmon are certainly showing up in decent numbers with fish being caught in the 15- 30 pound range on a daily basis. Anchovies, herring and hootchies have been the ticket with fish hitting between 25ft and 85 ft. Persistence is paramount with Chinook as the strong tides make covering water and finding active fish a little more difficult. Once the tides back off is when you’ll get your opportunities. Salmon fishing has been active and mixed with improving weather and tides this week we’re excited to get out there.

Sturgeon Fishing

Sturgeon fishing has been good in the lower river and should improve even more with the tides starting to subside and with the pink salmon returning to the river. There were some good fish caught this week with a few over 7ft mark. We’re looking forward to the next couple of months of sturgeon prime time.

Fly fishing

Never in my recollection has there been so many pink salmon in the Squamish River. They seem to be everywhere. This many fish has also brought a huge amount of anglers. With the closure of the Fraser River it seems a lot of the anglers are heading up the Sea to Sky highway, so finding a spot to fish is tough to do. Luckily with the amount of fish in the system it doesn’t seem to matter where you fish you can find some action. Any small pink fly, ideally with a little flash will do the trick.

All in all it’s been a great week and things are looking positive for the next couple weeks as more fish will be showing up in our waters. Keep you posted!

Tight Lines.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
I live almost on the Fraser river and the local sporties are missing absolutely nothing. I have been out every night and nothing is moving upstream....There are no seals or sea lions as is customary, no birds looking for a free lunch and certainly no salmon entering the river in large numbers at the present time...............Ortho

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Here is an update on my previous post. Generally in a pink year locally the fish pass Port Hardy in very large numbers and are often caught and released as a nuisance fish to the local sporties. I spoke to my brother last night who lives in Port Hardy and he said they were definitely thick around there 2 weeks ago, but have almost disappeared. Generally, these fish make their way south over a week to 10 days and enter the Fraser on high tides. Won't be near the river today, but I will watch tomorrow's tides and report.....The water temperature at Steveston yesterday was 23C..74 degrees F...........pretty warm waters!!!!.............Ortho

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.