BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a 5-7 day fishing trip around the beginning of August. My goal is to camp and target Salmon and bottom fish. I'll be leaving from Victoria but don't mind a long drive. I used to fish Nootka a lot but haven't been there in 4 years. I'm not sure what it's been like lately or if there's any new improved campgrounds. I'm also thinking about Bamfeild. Any suggestions? Is there anywhere that is predicted to be extra hot at that time? I'm also wondering if there's good camping facilities in Zeballos or Tahsis. I've only ever been to Cougar Creek. Any info is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
If you are planning the West Coast of the Island.....I don't think you can go wrong with anywhere from Kyuquot down to Bamfield. The fish will be all up and down the outside and early August is always great.

Is your boat seaworthy to be running offshore or are you looking for somewhere you can fish more inside waters? If looking at "inside" waters....bear in mind that by early August there will be slot limits on Chinook (if things are like the past years) in many locales. Definitely have a look at the regs for the various areas as this may influence your decision. ;)

I can't really help you with camping but given how the provincial campgrounds book up so fast....I'd get on it quickly as the same will likely hold true for private grounds. Lots of spots between Tofino and Ukie for camping.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be in a 17' Double Eagle. Depending on the weather I prob won't be venturing too far offshore. Thanks for the tips about the regs. I'll definitely keep that in mind. And yes I agree, I need to book asap!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Tuta Marina in Nootka sound is a great place and is right in Hanna channel, as close to the fish as you can get.
They have camping, freezers, docks,showers and a rough gravel launch.
Road is rough but guys bring motor homes and larger boats than yours in there.
Just keep going another 20 minutes past Cougar creek.
Larry and Shirley are great people and it is very casual.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's not a bad idea. I have been there years ago. I recall following Larry out to a "secret halibut hole". I wonder how bad towing a fiberglass boat down that road is. I used to have an aluminum one and didn't care about the gravel. I suppose I could launch in Gold River......but then my girlfriend would have to drive the car...possible.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I booked a site at Tuta Marina for August 4th - 9th. If anyone else is going be in Nootka during that time, drop me a line. It would be nice to maybe buddy up for a day off shore, or share info.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tuta Marina in Nootka sound is a great place and is right in Hanna channel, as close to the fish as you can get.
They have camping, freezers, docks,showers and a rough gravel launch.
Road is rough but guys bring motor homes and larger boats than yours in there.
Just keep going another 20 minutes past Cougar creek.
Larry and Shirley are great people and it is very casual.
x10 :D
though we are good friends with the folks at the old CeePeeCee site so stay there these days
was ROUGH weather this past week. was gonna and shoulda hit burwood (the secret not so secret hali hole ) but we fished all over rosa ,pin rock and the whistle buoy to no avail
managed a decent day on the coho down at 120 to 140 out 10 miles offshore. lots of big wild released, 1 fish shy of limits for 3 guys. chovies and cop car spoons

1 - 7 of 7 Posts