BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Island Locals on here with info on fly fishing the South West Coast of the Island from Victoria to Port Renfrew. I am looking for info on Beach Fishing for Pinks and Cutties but also river fishing for salmon and steelheads. Not sure if you can get Pinks from the beach around here but I know they are catching them in the boats out in the Straight.

Getting back into fishing after a long hiatus as my dad recently bought a cabin at Peter Hope Lake near Merrit with some really good fly fishing for trout. Used to fish the Nanaimo area a lot as a teen (not much fly fishing however) but have recently concentrated on surfing.

Cheers

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Finder. I have emailed the Sooke Fly Fishers Club for info on the local rivers but have no response yet. They have some different events on the calendar that I will attend.

I have also scouted out a few rivers such as Muir Creek and tried for some cutties in the mouth but mainly I wanted to walk the river a little.

Checked out Little Qualicum River where I used to fish as a teen and caught a few minnows but could see a few early salmon - possibly coho jacks?

Can't wait to try the Cowichan for Brown and the south west coastal rivers (San Juan and Gordon) for some fall steelies.

Cheers

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried a couple of spots at Harris creek today but no dice. Where do those summers hang out?? Was around the bridge by Hemmingsen Creek and a little further down where I got a chance to work on my rock climbing skills!

A native guy in Port mentioned they were catching some big cutthroat up the estuary a ways and there were salmon (Chinooks/Cohos?) flopping around under the bridge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.