BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First post here so here goes. I'm taking a week-long yacht trip from Sidney around the archipelago in the first week of September. I am very interested in fishing while on the trip. The yacht comes with a 10ft dinghy with 4HP motor.

My plan will be to fish wherever we moor up in the mornings and evenings, potentially using the dinghy to get around but not likely doing any trolling.

I would honestly be happy with catching anything. I've done a fair amount of saltwater fishing in the UK, mostly for mackerel, dogfish, sea bass, flatfish, both from a boat and shore, so I've got some experience jigging, spinning, trolling. However, all my gear is in the UK and isn't worth shipping here.

I've done some research and see that there are plenty of fish to catch out there at the time I'll be visiting including Coho salmon, lingcod, sole, rockfish, bass. The question I'd like to ask is, which tackle/methods am I most likely to have some fun with? As I said I'm not too bothered about what I catch (although a Coho would be awesome!).

Any advice on techniques, locations and tackle would be greatly appreciated. Even more, if there are any suggestions of anyone (shops, charters, individuals) that might rent me some tackle in/around the Victoria area would be really awesome!

Thanks!

Jon

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Make sure you aren't fishing in an area closed to rockfish. I would say jigging or fly are your best bets given what you are doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Aaargh! I had noticed the rockfish protection areas and plan to take some maps with me, but thanks for the reminder. I've never tried fly fishing so I might give that a miss but for a jigging setup, I'm thinking a medium heavy action boat rod and maybe a spinning reel. I've never tried jigging with a spinning reel but figure I could probably get away with it, and that will give me an option of spinning in shallower water. Is this good logic? Or should I look at a multiplier?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Spinning works great for jigging. Drop to bottom,reel a few turns,jig up slowly,down fast. Work your way up through the water column,then repeat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect thanks, sounds pretty similar to what I've done in the UK. I've only ever done it with a multiplier reel though, just to clarify you reckon a spinning reel would work ok? I think I'd prefer to get a spinning reel but I'm unsure of whether you can get them robust enough to deal with the heavier gear used for jigging...

·
Registered
4 Posts
We've had pretty good luck with silver buzz bombs cast out on a spinning rod and then jigged back to the boat. Takes a bit of luck to get them back though it you cast into the kelp :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Pender, what species were you getting? And what size of buzz bomb?

I am also wondering whether anyone has had any luck with herring strip or similar in shallower water? And what kind of setup might be best for bait fished in this way?

Really appreciate how open you guys are in this thread!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks Pender, what species were you getting? And what size of buzz bomb?

I am also wondering whether anyone has had any luck with herring strip or similar in shallower water? And what kind of setup might be best for bait fished in this way?

Really appreciate how open you guys are in this thread!
Buzz bomb size IMO isn't the issue, take a few sizes.... really depends on the tidal movement (current) and how deep you want the buzz bomb to travel. Some of the currents can keep your buzz bomb from sinking, so it's really a bit of an ongoing experiment between the depth of the fish where you're fishing and the current vs. the size of the jig... As PenderBender mentioned, I've also had good luck with silver buzz bombs, or white/blue or silver/blue (both buzz bombs and zingers). With coho jigs work well too, but they are lighter, so heavy tidal currents affect them pretty good.

Get yourself a crab trap, too!! Good luck, sounds like a great trip!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts