BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats Right!!! We're throwin a fishin derby!! Some pals from the Sea Island coast guard base and I want to invite everyone to attend a friendly Vancouver fishing derby on Aug 23 2008. This would be a great opportunity for all the local Saltys to match skills in a Vancouver fish-off to see who will be king of the local water for a year. Might also be fun to meet and greet some of the other fisherfolks on the forum!!!

There will be a $30 dollar entry fee per person which will all be used towards the purchase of the first place and runner up prizes. You can put as many people on your boat as long as its safe. (keep in mind we are fishing with the Coast Guard). We already have a few people entered so let me know if your interested because the more entries we get, the bigger and better the prizes. The derby will start at dawn and end at T-10 in the evening for some cold pops and weigh-in. The prize for biggest fish will be awarded at that time. If anyone is interested you can contact me for info on where to register and what the guidelines are. Hope to see you ALL out there!!!!!

Matt

· Registered
815 Posts
Man you don't know the torcher one day with out sunscreen or a hat can bring. Heed the warning slip, slap, slop! I think my nose will fall off and I've got a skin collection bigger than Goldmember.

I'm going to give the Derby a go... just gotta work out how to not be at work.

A thought we get a few of us together and rent a real fishing machine. I've seen a guy on Cregs list that renting what looks like a decent boat for pretty cheep.
Have fun, Jason

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
I could be into this ....I've got the boat and downriggers. We should possibly post this in the
fish-out section ? I don't recall a salt fishout even though it is a derby.

:beerchug: Marko

· Registered
759 Posts
Sign me up.

That's a Saturday. The weigh in is where? Did you say the T-10? There's not a whole lot around there. If it's blowing hard, then it's not exactly comfy water down there and may be inaccessible ???

· Registered
759 Posts
Nope. The T10 is about 6 miles south of the Pt. Grey Bell Buoy--south of the Iona Jetty---or due west out the Middle Arm.

A better place to finish the derby would be McDonald Beach (the problem there is you have to run up the North Arm--and the RCMP may have an issue with the "pops"). The other problem with that launch is that they like to lock it up in a hurry at dusk. 

Or...where I come out of...False Creek---the launch at Vanier. The problem with that one is the Vancouver Police. They could have a problem with an open "pop".

Vanier is a good launch---you can come and go as you please---no gates. In addition, if the wind is up...at least that leaves the North Arm area to QA to Point Grey area.

The tides are also conducive to a very ahem....good fishery...

2008-08-23  5:05 AM PDT  3.80 feet  Low Tide
2008-08-23  6:16 AM PDT  Sunrise
2008-08-23 12:17 PM PDT  12.50 feet  High Tide
2008-08-23  4:43 PM PDT  10.86 feet  Low Tide
2008-08-23  4:51 PM PDT  Last Quarter
2008-08-23  8:12 PM PDT  Sunset
2008-08-23 10:10 PM PDT  14.26 feet  High Tide

BTW I have a couple of other fisher friends with boats who may be interested in attending as well.  Of course, the competitive aspect would suddenly put them into "competition" mode...as myself not wanting to "lose face" to the senior anglers, ahem, we may stop sharing information with eachother during the days prior.  Right T? Right G?  ;D

· Registered
3,928 Posts
fishinmagician said:
A better place to finish the derby would be McDonald Beach (the problem there is you have to run up the North Arm--and the RCMP may have an issue with the "pops"). The other problem with that launch is that they like to lock it up in a hurry at dusk.
Hell.....we could do the weigh-in on my patio!!!

BTW I have a couple of other fisher friends with boats who may be interested in attending as well. Of course, the competitive aspect would suddenly put them into "competition" mode...as myself not wanting to "lose face" to the senior anglers, ahem, we may stop sharing information with eachother during the days prior. Right T? Right G? ;D
Yup.......the "bite will be on" on Halibut Bank....and lunkers being landed in Indian Arm starting around the 17th. :peace:

· Registered
461 Posts
I'd love to head out and meet up with some of the guys from the board for a derby. Unfortunately, I'm usually on the west coast or the north island fishing at that time. I'm sure I'll read about all the fun times when I get back. I wish everbody good luck, and hopefully it is the first of many annual saltchuck get togethers.

· Registered
759 Posts
The T10 was hot yesterday morning until 9 am. Of the few boats fishing there, I heard 5 of 6 boats had at least 2 or more fish on board, with one boat of 4 anglers limiting on fish from 19 to 26 lbs. They went an incredible 8 for 12 on Green Anchovy Special Heads--- White and Red Springs. Magic depths were 70 to 80 feet. This was a guide boat local to the Vancouver area.

Git yer 'Chovies down!!!!

Sounds like the T-10 could be the place to be now with the action easing off at the top end as of late.

· Registered
509 Posts
Once again guys try the pink PM16's , the springs really love'm this time of year out there.

Unfortunatly I can't make it but maybe next year (boat is in port alberni, getting ready for the big fish , LOL)

Good luck and hope to hear all about your big fish !! :happ

Cape R

· Registered
461 Posts
Hi, cape resilient.

Think you made a minor typo, I 'm sure you meant the MP16 hoochie. I love the MP15 myself, you're right they work great on all species in Aug-Sept. I'm off to BarkleySound at the end of the week too, so I won't be there either.

Good luck to everybody in the derby. I look forward to seeing all the pics and reading the stories.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.