BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Just thought I would fire up this thread rather than reports being posted in seabuoy's "20 posts" thread. Those who are looking for some info in the "Saltwater General Discussion" may not see the info being posted in there.

So fire away.....I am "hoping" for a good report after tomorrow!! :peace:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hey Scott,

Was out yesterday and tubbed out with 5 of us pretty damned quickly. Was also out today alone a bit south of the beer can from 9am to 1:15. I tubbed out with 3 sox and a nice 25lb spring (hit at 60ft on sockeye gear). Hit a 4th sockeye when I was pulling up gear it was a nice sacrificial fish for the seal that was tagging me all day long.

On my way back to the North Arm I did see some jumpers around t-10, but no boats were fishing it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey guys, haven't fished out by the south arm before or Vancouver area very much at all(couple of Times out the north arm), I want to go out Sunday, I checked the marine forecast and its calling for a 5-15 southeast, is that a favorable wind for fishing the sandheads is my question, also when I come out the North arm how far is it to the South Arm/T-10 section for fishing.
Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
32 Posts
Depending on where you're coming from, you would probably be better off launching in Steveston and running out the S Arm. The launch is at the S foot of No 2 Rd. I was out today also and did about the same as damnfish - limit in sox and a 24 lb spring at 60 ft on the sox gear. I heard some other boats were getting springs also so might be a good idea to target them with one of your lines.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Whats the launch like there, its my Dads boat and its a 25' Bayliner I/O, would we have to watch the tides or is it pretty safe, also whats the parking like?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
5-15 easterly shouldn't be too bad in your size of boat. It's the westerly that'll stain the shorts! But Sunday is a lifetime away for an accurate forecast. Good luck!

·
Registered
151 Posts
i was out most of today - Thursday Sept. 16 at Sandheads ~ mostly to the south amongst the commercial boats.

There were still tons of fish but they were not hitting at all for most of the day. Hooked 3 or 4 afround 3 pm - only one to the boat.

The commercial guys (trollers) were doing great. After watching them i have a question. What are they doing differently than i am? i did my best to match gear and speed and i tried different depths but no luck. As i said, the commercial guys seemed to be slaying them all day. So i wonder if there is something about their gear that has the magic.

Any commercial guys care to share?

·
Registered
32 Posts
coho81 - the launch is a good one although it drops down on the second section which is exposed at low tide. You should respect the moored boats on the north side of the river and not create a big wake on the way out (and in). There is a section where there's no boats and you can pick it up.

rpt - I was thinking the same thing today as I watched them hauling in the sox. I think the advantage they have is that they're dragging so many flashers. One boat I saw was using almost all green flashers, although I'm not sure that's a standard thing.

·
Registered
464 Posts
They have 10X as many flashers in the water as you. Sockeye like to follow all that glittering gear. Not really any way you can compete with all that gear in the water. Also being able to run all those lines really allows them to zero in on what gear is working best on any given day.

·
Registered
143 Posts
RPT ... do not ever expect to come any thing close to the commercial trollers success. With Sox, you need attractors and lots of them, they likely have 50 to 100 set up out there, they look like a school themselves.
I have had great success, running 2 dummies in tandem per side split 8 to 10 feet apart then 2 rods with flashers and hootchies above that.
But nothing compares to our working fishermen's set up on the trollers.

HT

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I should reply to this thread............although not a great report.

Was out with TheBigGuy on Friday........we threw everything at em' and zippo except for a jack spring that made the term "football" seem like an understatement. Fat as hell and peeled off tons of line......it was right on that "bubble" of "whack" or not.

Worked the Bell, QA, freighters, mouth of the bay, Atkinson in toward the Cap.......and ZIPPO!!! No sox jumping like they were at the Bell/North Arm area....lots of coho jumping along West Van but they were tight lipped.

Had a buddy who was out yesterday....and he pretty much did the same gig that we did on Friday. Said there was not a single net out that he saw all day.

It did sound as though things were better further south, but having said that I watched some boats running out of English Bay headed south....that were back at the Bell within a few hours.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went out to fish Sandheads yesterday. Another perfect day on the water, but no fish! I was there from 2:00 until 6:00 with the fleet, and I don't think anyone was having much luck with the school. The water was full of fish, both on the sounder and at the surface. There were so many fish jumping -- once actually hit the side of our outboard! Out of the 4 hours on the water I only saw four fish landed by other boats.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I fished from 9:30 -12:30 on the south side of the Steveston jetty, toward the coal port, lots of fish jumping, no takers, skunked for the first time this year, very slow around the river, maybe should try further away from the river, the front of the ferry terminal might be productive. I am sure the down poor last night didn't help much either. Any thoughts? anyone else have better luck?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Saturday Sept 18th

I was also out at sandheads on Saturday. Came out of the mouth and headed straight to the commercial boats. (They must know where the fish are). Anyway lines in the water around 9:30am with no sounder as it decided not to turm on yesterday. Some fish jumping. Saw a few get caught early. We didnt have bite until 1pm. First fish 1pm lost at boat. Second fish 1:02pm landed. We found a school and continued to make pass after pass over the school. Got a hit or better every pass. I was happy to be into fish and extremely frustrated with the 3 first-timers I decided to bring along.

Long story short landed 3 lost 6 or 7 and had another 1/2 dozen hits that didn't hook up. I was basically calling the shots whenever I got the boat back into position it was great other than our landing percentage. Something about beginners wanting to let the fish do whatever it wants.

Looked like a lot of other boats started getting into the fish arounf the same time between 1-330pm.

Most fish at 75-85 feet one at 60 all on pink mini hoochies and blue and green flashers. Had four rods out and picked up a couple of those triangle shaped flashers which worked great as dummies since they hold there plane allowing me to stack the bottom line relatively close to dummy. First time I used them, worked really well.

Nothing on red flasher which was also shallow rod 55-60 feet. Through a herring out for a while in the morning and also tried a white hoochie trying to get a spring with no luck.

Dont think I left anything out. Other than that I buggered up both downriggers trolling back to the mouth with no sounder and never fishing that area before dragged bottom and gottem stuck. Damn that wires hard on the hands pulling those balls up.

Another though I have is to figure out the best form of communication on the water for BCFR members where we can send/recieve reports while on the water when we need it most. Maybe an "on the water" forum/app that could be accesible to smartphones. Any techies out there with any ideas? Just a though I had out there yesterday.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was out Yesterday we fished from 8 til about 3pm, around the T-10, saw countless amounts of Jumpers, lots of boats and managed to get the one and only fish we saw caught all day ten minutes before we called it quits, I am still very green for fishing around Vancouver but we had a blast watching all the jumpers and did connect on our one and only chance of the day so we were happy. I tried a Purple Haze Hoochie for awhile for a spring but no action on that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
A quick note of thanks to all who have been posting very detailed reports. i was afraid that this board was starting to dry up.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Can you explain the rigging for the dummies... thanks damnfish!
I like to make dummy flashers on 6 ft wire leaders. I just cut off 6 ft of wire from my Riggers and make a loop at each end. I put LOTS of swivels on to avoid tangling the wire. I then use Scotty downrigger clamps to attach them to the rigger line. One at the ball, then 1 about 6ft up and then another. When I attach my first line I try to keep it so the flasher lines up with the dummies.... Then 6 ft up I put my top line, same thing, I keep it tight to the line.

Always use a very short quick release clip on the bottom and a longer one on top, this really helps to prevent them twisting with each other.

I was talking to a guy today who was nailing socks with just 2 rods and 1 downrigger.... He was putting dummies inbetween his lines... I'm gonna try that tomorrow and will report...

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts