went down river and hooked into a nice spring on a blade but lost it
Lots of fish jumping in this run but no biters
moved up to another run and had no luck there
most the guys there were flossing
lots of chum arround
we need some rain

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Amen, Britguy..........Lots of rain, happy fish, and a lot less people who don't know how to fish any other way.......I hope we get a major dump of rain, the river will be "out" for some time as all the slide sites have been accumulating debris for some time.....

· Registered
909 Posts
I know the feeling Brit, I fished lower this and did amazingly well in the couple hours out. Went in to work in am and stopped at timmys for a jo then to the kw bridge for a peek in the afternoon. I found where all the flossers have been hiding.
We should be careful what we are hoping for, if we do get the rains that clay slump is going to make a mess of the river for a while after or what if like a couple years ago when it started to rain in Oct and didn't end till March. Tho I agree a little rain would'nt hurt
Crazy D

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Had an unexpected morning of no work and the boss suggested we hit the vedder. We started around mid river on the back side of tamahi to fish some fast water. Fish were jumpin but no takers for us. So after an ge of constant hookups on the bottom of the river we moved up river. Water is super clear rain would sure be nice. Next and last spot for us was the run just below and around the corner from the cement slab. We hooked and released many large springs and some really ugly chum. My thumb is burnt! Seen one coho landed and bonked really colored too. I was using peach wool and a 12-14 inch leader. Seen a few guys using 5 foot leaders under there floats and hooking everything! Great day none the less CK

· Registered
501 Posts
Great report Britguy :thumbup:

WOW CK I wish my boss would say no work today lets hit the flow :happy: :happy:

Dream on for me.

· Registered
374 Posts
I also hit the Vedder after work today. Fished from 4-7 pm. Hit the upper canal section (don't know the name) :hmmm: and only saw 2-3 dudes there. Saw the odd jumper, and even noticed a dark belly on one of them. Some were large and some were medium sized fish. But no biters.

I then moved up to the campsite, and saw a dude across the river, fishing the bank, and he was just bagging a nice beast of a coho. Again, a few surfacing and jumping there, but not many. I even saw the odd one jumping in that big "new pool" that the excavaters dredged up. They looked like coho.

Used wooley peach/flesh flies, popcicles, and black/purple flies for the springs, and BH rolled muddlers for the coho,,,but no takers. Couldn't even get a trout with my trusty minnow pattern that never failed before. :wallbash:

Water is low and clear.

The only excitement of the day, was noticing a Hummer, with WA plates, with its front door wide open and nobody around. I guess the visitor was just too excited to hit some fish, and left his door open! I thought about closing it for him, but figured, um, better stay clear away from that, incase there's an incident or something, (yes, I'm paranoid.) Even another dude there said the same thing. Anyways, after fishing for about an hour, two flyfishers came by and we chatted for awhile, and after a bit, I asked them if they owned the Hummer with the door open. Wow! They took off in a hurry! I felt bad for those dudes. But it was a slow afternoon, with only 2-3 cars in the parking lot. I think they were ok.

Anyways, I'm tempted to just wait until mid-Oct, after some heavy rain. The drive from Langley is a bit much for after work, and no action. :-[

· Registered
917 Posts
Ouch - that's gotta hurt. I hope they did just leave the door open - as opposed to a break-in. :-\

I too was out there yesterday as I took vacation for the next couple of weeks. Never done that before. Anyway, the only coho I saw were jacks at first light (I got one of them ;)). Lots of springs, and chum are starting to pour in. Saw one very bright chum (almost squish-like). Landed three nice springs and lost a handful more. The fellow fishers thought that one was a big coho which got my heart pumping. It was jumping all over the place and was dime bright. Turned out to be a 12-15 lb spring hen that I released. Hooked and lost a few chum - which was intentional. Roe was the hot ticket at first light - too bad I ran out... :wallbash:

Good news is my mentor and I each retained a spring hen - so I've got some roe curing up right now...

Man, I hope the rain predicted for the w/e doesn't mess the river up too bad......sigh...

· Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FM it was good to see you out there again
i was hoping to get some roe too but I had no luck after you left :-\
As for the rain well i would like to see the water color up a bit but i am worried this rain might do more than that :'(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.