BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hit the river early this morning with fishfreak, thrasher and fishinaddict. The river was in pretty good shape with the clarity not being to bad. We hit a few runs in the upper end with no luck so we headed off to mid-river. Freaks first cast and fish on :thumbup:. He fought for and kept it nicly out of the fast water but then the hook flew out :'( . 20min later it was my turn only this one was alot smaller and with the same result. Fished it hard for awhile longer but nothing else was seen so we hit the lower. The lower was in alot better shape then I thought it would be but we saw nothing. All and all though it was still a very enjoyable day. We had some good laughs and enjoyed the company.

G

·
Yes it was a fun day, I will be back out tomorrow morning again, also have to go back to Freds Tackle, Never got my debit card back after buying those single eggs today

· Banned
2,854 Posts
was out today also with WOOKIE i was using wool got nothing but a quick little nibble he used some roe and hooked one and had the hook pop right at shore and also hooked a smaller fish i think might have been a trout but could have been a very little jack spring

tight lines

HOOK

G

·
was out this morning for about 3 hours or so, water cmae up and the visiility was crap, i fished my usuall spot, hit 2 more fish today, one was around 20 pounds lost that one, then landed a 5-7 pound spring jack both fish were very dirty, the river should be nice again by the end of the week as this rain storm is coming to an end , and the long range forcast is calling for sunny weather

· Registered
1,461 Posts
FF whats with you and the jacks? LOL I was out yesterday, seen many fishing moving/jumping nothing hooked. Swung by the limit hole, man oh man that hole is getting terrible. Out of like 25 guys i only saw 2 floats, and 1 of those floats was 10 feet from the weight :-\.

· Registered
417 Posts
Been at the limit hole yesterday and today. Yes yesterday was a funny day. Good me and my buddy landed one fish before show has started. In the morning everybody was float drifting. Then my buddy landed nice 20-25 lb jack, after this everybody started to cast into the place where he hooked fish, lines were crossing like crazy. Then one guy hooked into fish using bottom bouncing, this triggered most of the guys changing floats to bottom bouncing :) Then we left. You cannot float fishing when everybody around is bottom bouncing.

Today was ugly. Due to rain Sleese was bringing ditry waters into clear waters. We met 3 guys early in the morning. I wish all fishermen were like them. Very nice company. :beerchug: :thumbup: Then later two senior guys came in, one of them was hooking into others line, into trees behind him, into rocks around him, he almost casted his second rod over him into water :wallbash: I just gave up and enjoyed my time at the river watching people fishing. Two nice 20-25 lb jacks were landed, few hooked into and lost :'(

Then we went to the hatchery to check it because we have never been there. Oh, there are only around 20 fish there ... We checked all the pools there. Poor fish, one had hook in the spine, another one had hook in the fin. They were ok. I was very glad they won a battle with human beings and made their way to the hatchery. Lot's of small salmons in the pools ready to be released I guess, they are so small and tiny and are having fun in thoose pools :happy:

G

·
Shouldnt be bottom bouncing PERIOD !!!!! The Vedder fish BITE HARD !!!! LIMIT HOLE is a HOLE !!!! Seriously. explore the river there is lots of nice places that hold fish.

I agree the water is horribale today , the water graph showed it even higher

G

·
I forgot to ask what a 25 pound jack was as well..

A spring/coho jack is small usually less than 10 pounds, and its a fish that returns before it should (at least thats what i have been told)

· Banned
2,854 Posts
well from what i have been told a "jack" is only a 2 year old fish as oppose to the 4 year old mature fish that are ready to spawn.

i think he just called them jacks by mistake boys ;)

tight lines

HOOK

limit hole is yes a hole however if you get only a few people there fishing "ethically" it can be quite a bit different

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think they must be confused. A jack is anything under 62cm(on the veddar) but on the fraser it is 50cm. If you look at the regs it says that you are allowed 4 chinook but only one over 62cm on the Veddar and 50cm on the fraser the 3 under are considered jacks.

· Registered
1,160 Posts
A Chinook jack is one that measures less than 50 cm, that would make them around 4lbs and under.
These are all males and they are indeed Chinooks who have only spent a season or 2 at sea.
They are mothers natures insurance policy, and do add their STUFF to the gene pool.

Some cases jack size is set at 60 cm, but that does not apply to this run.

· Registered
209 Posts
Bent Rod said:
A Chinook jack is one that measures less than 50 cm, that would make them around 4lbs and under.
These are all males and they are indeed Chinooks who have only spent a season or 2 at sea.
They are mothers natures insurance policy, and do add their STUFF to the gene pool.

Some cases jack size is set at 60 cm, but that does not apply to this run.
Here's the link regarding Chinook sizes:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x..._notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=100154&ID=recreational

However, in the Vedder/Chilliwack river system, you are allowed to keep 4 chinooks (Jacks included), of which only one can be OVER 62 cm and must be a minimum length of 30 cm. So, if you catch and retain any chinook over 50 cm, you still must record that on the back of your license.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Freshwater/region2_e.htm

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.