BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished mid river .Decided to try bait and wool . Have fished the fly for years so this was new. found a run with fish in it ( had to cross over ) vis 3 ft . One other guy fishing wool . Fished all day with him giving me tips . He gave me the right color of wool ,the 8lb test ( he put 12 lb on no hits and had to go back to 8lbs ) the same set up as him . he had about 15 large springs on beaching one nice chrome fish and loosing a coho . Myself never touched a fish all day . But the story has a happy ending i drowned him

· Registered
517 Posts
speyman2 said:
Fished mid river .Decided to try bait and wool . Have fished the fly for years so this was new. found a run with fish in it ( had to cross over ) vis 3 ft . One other guy fishing wool . Fished all day with him giving me tips . He gave me the right color of wool ,the 8lb test ( he put 12 lb on no hits and had to go back to 8lbs ) the same set up as him . he had about 15 large springs on beaching one nice chrome fish and loosing a coho . Myself never touched a fish all day . But the story has a happy ending i drowned him
I can understand completely your feeling :wallbash: I usually move away from the guy I am fishing with. I can't tell you why, but it works. I think has to do with what we think while fishing... :beerchug:

G

· Registered
517 Posts
speyman2 said:
Is there some knd of scent that is used on the wool . I would think that you would soak it and then dry the wool ?
there are several scents available (someone else here may tell you more, but I guess if you go to a tackle store they may have everything you are looking for). I never used it, and the reason is that I dont think there is any scent that can replicate a real one like roe. What I mean is that you should get baits with roe for sure. If it doesn't work, I would try to play with other factors such as length of leaders, drifting speed etc etc. It takes just a bit of time, but it will work. Many people are fishing deep pools right now. Try to fish shallow waters (2 to 3 feet deep) BUT not in the very fast run. In there (as I was recently told) salmons do not have time to stare at the bait and decide what to do, instead everything is happening quickly (because they are moving and your bait is moving) and they bait by instinct!
:beerchug:

G

· Registered
1,989 Posts
IMO sents don't give u an advantage using wool but presentation is very important! I myself have never seen anyone use sents on wool but I'm sure they do but its just anouther expence. Sents on other things like plugs I have herd of. CK

· Registered
1,078 Posts
coho_killer said:
IMO sents don't give u an advantage using wool but presentation is very important! I myself have never seen anyone use sents on wool but I'm sure they do but its just anouther expence. Sents on other things like plugs I have herd of. CK
[ /quote] I have a buddy who has many times used scent on his wool after fishing a run with no scent and has gotten stubborn fish to hit. the funny thing about it is he will let you know when the scent is going on, almost like he wants to rub it in your face when he hooks up. i have seen him do it for all species in mostly clear conditions and after fishing good baits. scents have a time and place, its just up to the individual to become CONFIDENT is using it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.