BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
What setup do you have there? Looks like a "sage" rod, but it's hard to read in the pic....(almost looks like "logo" in the pic)....don't recognize the reel....

·
Registered
917 Posts
It's a Loop Blue 8 wt, 10 ft, 3 piece rod with an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor Reel. Looks pretty good in the picture. Oh yeah, and the fish looks nice too! Way to go FF! I wish I could have made it out with you today! Nice looking flies too! :wink:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
holy sheep [email protected]#$!!!!! what a nice looking fish, so very fresh! I WANT ONE!!!!!! good job Fish Finder!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas...FFM's right about the set up...It's finally complete and, I think it's now safe to say I won't be up grading my single handed 8 weight set up for a very long time. Sorry you couldn't make it FFM...Hopefully next weekend...Oh yeh...nice seeing and chating with you again HunterJ..

Finder :wink:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hello fish finder

I'm also from CHWK and find my self flying on lakes or wading rivers in manning park for trout. How do i take the step to fishing steel and salmon in the vedder? It is in by back yard but my gear is a 9 ft. 6 wt. Marten Mill Creek rod and Fennwick DCC58 Reel. I've been fishing trout most of my life but have caught on salmon in the Vedder in my life. I was GEAR CHUCKIN lead and float and caught a HUGE spring in the side of his snout. I felt this was a foul hook and let it go thinking that this was only my first. But this was also my last can you help me get into my BACKING :lol: Let me know if my gear is to light or of o could get by with out spending alot of money. I love my pontoon boat but the river is calling me :D Thanks P.S. anyone been to Barnes Lake this yr. or is it still frozen. :?:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Nice one Fish Finder
I will be out there next week Tue or Wed or both
I have now got the fly bug big time

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stormin30 Posted: Saturday 08th of April 2006 09
How do i take the step to fishing steel and salmon in the vedder?
but my gear is a 9 ft. 6 wt.
Let me know if my gear is to light or of o could get by with out spending alot of money.
Well if fly fishing's the method you want to target them with, the first thing yu have to do is decide how much your budjet will allow you to spend. The next step would be to hit a tackle or fly shop and see what your price range could get you. There is a selection of affordable set ups ( rod and reel combos) for around the $200 range. Ex. those made by Dragon Fly, Fenwick, and Sedge. For a flow like the Vedder I'd reccomend an 8 weight set up. In my opinion a 6 weight set up is too light for steelhead and salmon.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Stormin30,

FF's provided some good advice. I'd also recommend an 8 weight rod to start for salmon/steelhead. A 6 wt is just too light in my opinion. You may be able to use that rod for small salmon (e.g. pinks), but I'd go with at least a 7 wt in that case (I've got a 7 wt rod for small salmon/steelhead). An 8 wt rod will give you the versatility to have a chance at some larger fish (chums & springs), and will also not be too heavy for the smaller fish (pinks, coho, etc.). FF's mentioned some rod companies. I believe that a good fly (or tackle) shop can recommend a decent rod to fit your budget.

As for reels - I'd go with one that has a decent drag system and lots of line (backing) capacity. I'm sure you can get a decent reel for under $100.00. I know that FF used a Dragonfly (or was it a BFR) reel prior to his flashy new Battenkill LA. I think Dragonfly reels are around the 70 - 80 dollar range? Again, I'm sure the shop can recommend a decent reel.

As for lines – go with a sink tip system. I'd recommend a multi-tip (or versa-tip) system. The only problem is that these are quite expensive (200+ dollars) - but you get a number of sink tips you can use and change depending on the water conditions. There is the option of making your own sink tip system – but you’ll likely feel uncomfortable cutting into a new dry line if you haven’t done this before! For salmon/steelhead - it is imperative that you have a decent presentation, and in my experience - the right sink tip line is critical to get the fly to the correct depth, yet provide you decent control (e.g. mending) through the dry line portion of the line. An all floating line may work if you use weighted flies, or if you’re fishing shallow runs. A sinking line is impractical for flowing water. For very slow flow or still water (such as backwaters), a slow sink line works OK for cast and retrieve. But for a system like the Vedder – I’d go with a sink tip system.

Anyway – this is just a quick “summary” to hopefully get someone started for flyfishing salmon/steelhead. It may seem expensive at first, but over time it’s not too bad! Good luck and just ask if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Flyfishin Magician Posted: Sunday 09th of April 2006 09
I know that FF used a Dragonfly (or was it a BFR) reel prior to his flashy new Battenkill LA.
A BFR 395, and it's now on my back up outfit. In my opinion the best reel in it's price range. Not flashy or expensive but it'll get the job done when you first start out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey FF where did you score ur Battenkill/ Price range? I see a few on ebay just wondering if they are over priced!
thx.kevin

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wanted the Battenkill IV (perfect size for an 8 weight) for a good year but never could get my hands on one, as they were discontinued last year by Orvis in favor of the larger model Battenkill V. Which to me looked more like a spey reel.
Anyhow I was at the Fly Fishing Symposium last year and was talking to Kathy Ruddick, and low and behold she had one in stock in her shop! I got a good deal for it as the price was orginally miss quoted..So after the government got their sticky little hands in there I walked away with it for $350..The rest is history...So far I'm love'n it..The drag system is unreal, and it weighs next to nothing..

I just saw the Gold BK LA model V in e bay for 150 bones..Pretty good price if you don't mind a larger reel. If you can find the BKLA IV Gold Model for $300 retail that would be a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
SWEET!

Thats cool man I have been eyeing up reels for awhile, I would love a Tibor or Islander but for a couple of Hundred I can easily have two rods set up!!
Ive been lookin at that Battenkill for awhile, also been checkin some Hardy's but they can get pricey too!
A few times ive seen the old loop reels on there for 150-200 and missed out!

So ya thanx for the feed back on the reel!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks to ya'll
These are good tips and now i have a better idea what i need. I appreciate it. I bought new felt boots today for the river and new flippers for my pontoon.
I dug up a rod i was given 14 yrs ago. My uncle made me a 9 wt fennwick 9' 6" long. this is great starter rod stiff fiberglass but it wont break i hope.
the next thing is line and reel then ill be on the vedder. thanks for the helpful tips. what is the next run and when does it peek?

·
Registered
1 Posts
steelhead season is still open till the end of april then over to fly fishing only below the vedder bridge till the end of may. Then the vedder is closed until July 1 for the retention of red springs. Its tough to say when the peak is sumtimes it is early july like 2 years ago or sumtimes late july like last year. who knows with that run it is very hit and miss. Make shure if u decide to fish for them u dont mistake a spring salmon for a sockeye salmon, they are in the river aswell. unfortunately that happens to often.

D

·
0 Posts
when is the beest time for springs on the vedder i thought it was sept. am i wrong
:?:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts