BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Tons of sockeye jumping around. Lower is completely blown, high, muuddy, fast. Upper is almost the same except water is a lot cleaner up there but still hard to find a good drift. Also saw a few Jacks flopping around though, hoping to get out tomorrow in the morning, will try to give a report.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
where have you been seeing all these fish ? lower mostly? mid ? upper ? buddy and i might be heading our way there this weekend if i cant persuade him somewhere else :cheers: just looking for a chunk of river to try if we do. Early reds can be hard to track down sometimes :wallbash:

·
Registered
138 Posts
BY "buddy" do you mean me? I do have a name and I am on this site too... :mad:

Anyhoo, sorry about the bout of manopause, I was also curious if anyone could suggest some level walking access to a spot or two, as my 84 year old Grandfather decided he wants to go fishing with me.

He's quite mobile, but I just wanna avoid taking him down a ****/embankment, cause I'll have to carry him back up.

Any thoughts on this matter?

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
and yes i meant you :beerchug: its just easier to type "buddy" cause i would type your name otherwise :happy:

thats pretty cool that your grandpa wants to get out there :thumbup: hope we can find some early fish then.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Went out on the Vedder again today....

Me & and friend decided to go out today with the fly rods to try to get the Jacks I saw jumping yesterday. I met up with him and while I was rigging up my friend had his fly (Black Wolly Bugger - Gold bead Head) hammered and soon had a sockeye taking line. After a breif 10 second fight it snapped his 4 pound test ::) I finally got rigged up and first cast I also had my fly (Olive Wolly Bugger) get nailed, but missed on the hook-set. Lower is still high, brown, and fast. River has come up about 2 inches since yesterday with the thunderstomr we had today and rain is expected overnight & tomorrow morning, as well as on Sunday. After that its ecpected to start warming up again.

Best of luck if you decide to go out ;)
Dan

·
Registered
146 Posts
Saw some kids catching Steelhead smolts in the little back eddies near Peach Road. Looked like fun on light tackle. Haven't really had a chance to fish the Vedder yet but I would be interested if someone could recommend a good spot to fly fish down there (since the river's so high). Cheers!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Daniel said:
Saw some kids catching Steelhead smolts in the little back eddies near Peach Road. Looked like fun on light tackle. Haven't really had a chance to fish the Vedder yet but I would be interested if someone could recommend a good spot to fly fish down there (since the river's so high). Cheers!
They are quite fun on a light fly rod (6 wt or less)... Wouldnt really reccomend it though as it take its toll on the poor little guys, and remeber those are our future Steelhead, they are better to take home big than small. If you are going to fish for them please release them and dont play them too long.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Every Day said:
Went out on the Vedder again today....

Me & and friend decided to go out today with the fly rods to try to get the Jacks I saw jumping yesterday. I met up with him and while I was rigging up my friend had his fly (Black Wolly Bugger - Gold bead Head) hammered and soon had a sockeye taking line. After a breif 10 second fight it snapped his 4 pound test ::)
4lb test is a little light to be fishing for salmon, especially if there is some color in the water. Just put on a piece of 8-10 lb ultragreen for tippet when targeting salmon on the fly in most situations.

Thanks for the report, good to hear some fish are around!

·
Registered
789 Posts
I agree 4 pound is way to light, i learnt the hard way early steelehad season connecting with a fish with 6 pound fluorcarbon and it snapped instantly.

Also curious is to if the river is high dirty and fast how you found some good fly water ??? just curious cause i wouldnt mind bringing out the fly rod a few times as well

·
Registered
151 Posts
Every Day said:
They are quite fun on a light fly rod (6 wt or less)... Wouldnt really reccomend it though as it take its toll on the poor little guys, and remeber those are our future Steelhead, they are better to take home big than small. If you are going to fish for them please release them and dont play them too long.
Don't forget that these smolts for the most part have residualized, and are now competing with wild stock for food. This is why it opens for retention...

I know that some may still leave late, but that number is most likely small.

This is a good way to get kids into flyfishing with the dry fly, the action is consistent enough for their short attention spans to keep them interested...

Cheers,
Nicole

·
Registered
875 Posts
Nicole said:
Every Day said:
Don't forget that these smolts for the most part have residualized, and are now competing with wild stock for food... This is why it opens for retention...

I know that some may still leave late, but that number is most likely small.

Cheers,
Nicole
Really, I never knew that. Thats kinda cool to know.... I always thought that by killing these little guys we were hurting our stocks. Do these "left behind" fish just become resident rainbows then or do they eventually go to the ocean and become Steelhead. If so many residualize how come the Vedder isnt packed with larger trout? There seem to be so many of these little smolts behind that it seems a bunch of them should get bigger if they do in fact stay resident in the river.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well from what I was told, they stay in the river... I am not sure where they go, but I've caught lots of them in the fall, they are a pretty good size by then.

You'd have to ask staff where the uncaught migrate to, but this is what they told me when I worked there... I was curious about it too.

Cheers,
Nicole

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'll have to do my part to eliminate them then ;D Or not.... much more fun to just C&R, then they are there for next time too when you get bored

Ok another river report.....

Went out from 10 is in the morning and got back home around 4. River was still very high & very muddy, hadnt changed much since yesterday. When I left it looked as if it was started to clear a little bit, but still to high, fast & muddy to get a proper drift. Fly-fished again today and missed another hit about 20 mins into the day on a black fly. Got bored and fished for trout most of the day, any small fly will do. If weather co-operates water should start looking better into next week.

Tight Lines ;)
Dan

·
Registered
455 Posts
I checked out the Vedder today. Still was high and noticed 5 people fishing at the mouth of the river that feeds Cultas lake they were basically blocking any access to the river and fishing. :confused: Are they hitting the cultus lake sockeye, if so this is soooo wrong shouldn't this be a protected area and should we not respect this area and leave it as a no fishing area :cheers:

·
Registered
167 Posts
If they were fishing in Sweltzer Creek, that creek is clearly shown in the Fishing Regs, as being closed to fishing all year. So feel free to call in the offenders to Fish and Wildlife if that is what they were doing.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I went across this evening and there were four or five guy's where the clean water was hitting the main current. As far as the boundry for sweltzer we were always taught the boundry was just up past the old riverside property. There was a triangle, and a big no tresspassing sign on a poplar on the bank.
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
167 Posts
But getting back to Salmonator's post were these guys targeting Sockeye?? If so that is pretty low, because there is no open season on them, and with the hot weather in the Chilliwack area, especially last week, you are going to cause unnecessary stress to the fish if they are caught and even released. Doesn't sound like very ethical fishing to me. This is where the C.O. should step in snoop around to find out what those dudes are up to.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.