BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that the Vedder is a complete gong show towards the end of August and into September, with literal shoulder-to-shoulder fishing. How much truth is there to this?
If you're willing to walk a little of the beaten path how hard is it to find some openish water?
I'm guessing that most of the fishing is spin casting, which I'm guessing doen't mix too well with fly fishing? How hard is it to find some space to fly fish?
My understanding is that the Vedder is the best salmon fishing in the area, or at least the easiest access. Are there any other rivers that one would recommend in the area over the Vedder?

· Registered
876 Posts
Ok first of all..... YES there is shoulder to shoulder fishing during September... normally not August though. The thing is though if you are a fly-fisher and are the first one there, people tend to stay away from you for some reason. Secondly if you are willing to hike for 10-15 mins you can normally have a peice of water (just as nice as the crowded one) all to youself. If you are fly fishing, the lower river is the best. Peach Road has some calm areas... and some places abive the bridge are also calm but most of the fly water is Lickman Road or lower. The places that get most crowded are the backwashes because of the coho fishing.

Hope this helps, and hopefully you have a great time!
Dan

· Registered
1,461 Posts
kylegs said:
I've heard that the Vedder is a complete gong show towards the end of August and into September, with literal shoulder-to-shoulder fishing. How much truth is there to this?
If you're willing to walk a little of the beaten path how hard is it to find some openish water?
I'm guessing that most of the fishing is spin casting, which I'm guessing doen't mix too well with fly fishing? How hard is it to find some space to fly fish?
My understanding is that the Vedder is the best salmon fishing in the area, or at least the easiest access. Are there any other rivers that one would recommend in the area over the Vedder?
Yes the chedder can be a gong show, late Aug. - early Sept. not so much. The real gong show is mid Sept. - late Oct. Yes if you're willing to take a walk or hike it is possible to get away from the crowds reasonably easily. There is a lot of fly water, most being in the mid and lower river with a few spots in the upper section. In the lower mainland the chedder probably is the easiest river to access the entire fishable length, which explains the gong shows when fish are in thick or stacked up in low water conditions. For other rivers check out a map and do a couple searches on this site, there is and has been a lot of useful info posted on the surrounding flows.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

One thing I've wondered about the shoulder-to-shoulder is when someone hookes into a fish and makes a run downstream, what happens with the other people fishing in the way? Do people just move out of the way, or do mass tangles ensue?

· Registered
306 Posts
I fly-fished the vedder last september for the first time and was always able to find a decent spot to cast. Most people tend to bunch up on certain runs leaving plenty of shoreline if you look for it.

· Registered
417 Posts
kylegs said:
Thanks.

One thing I've wondered about the shoulder-to-shoulder is when someone hookes into a fish and makes a run downstream, what happens with the other people fishing in the way? Do people just move out of the way, or do mass tangles ensue?
:thumbup: this is the most interesting part of g. show :happy: I just enjoy watching it from another side of the river. One guy screams "FISH ON", half the guys below him take lines out, half stays, guy just slides through mess of lines and people f...ing everybody around. The most funniest thing is when few fish are hooked at the same time, this is where real show starts. :wallbash:

· Registered
170 Posts
most of the time people will get out of your way, however at times the opposite occurs. I have been in spots where I am the only person fishing and hook into a big spring, then people will come running out and start casting around you. When the run starts, there will be a lot of amateurs ou there.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
its good when you have someone that Fly fishes alot and has scouted out the river with rod in hand. nothing more dissapointing then spending 30mins walking into a pime chunk of water to find SH** now i cant cast :wallbash: :wallbash:

· Registered
101 Posts
Ah but there are a few places in the upper for a back cast,
all you have to do is put your time in to find them and don't
be afraid to walk a little. I have a few holes in the upper that
I go to when the lower is too crowded and all I use is a
single hand 8wt. That said the mid to lower is better for
us single handed guys, I spend 90% of my time there.

· Registered
334 Posts
young gun said:
you gotta walk, road side spots are gonna be crowded. The decent fly water starts from about "on the way" down through peach and into the upper canal
Why is it that the upper river isn't as good? Is it only because of the lack of room to backcast? I've heard this before, that chucking flys isn't to good in the upper river but no one told me why. I would think that with the amount of boulders, back eddies and trees that the Chilliwack would be a good area, just roll cast... ??? I would like to know as I need to justify buying my 8 wht a while back by actually using it more often!!
As far as room goes, just go in the middle of the week, if your job allows! :beerchug:

kingpin said:
lol decent fly fishing spots only from on the way down? i can tell you dont live or fish around here much.
Why not just ask him what he's talking about instead of making fun?

· Registered
218 Posts
There are quite a few spots on the upper that are very good for the fly..only problem is when the water is low like last steelhead season..shouldn't have that problem at that time of year...

Personally if I was coming up for a once in a lifetime trip etc. I would contact bentrods guide service or like and have um take you up to some really prime spots on other local rivers that would really turn you on with the fly!!! Rick you guide as well don't you?

· Registered
1,702 Posts
water on the upper is faster deeper stronger currents with more current seams rather than open runs, there are also many different current speeds in one run so keeping control of ur fly line is hard, its not a good way to cover the water and fish up higher, so its more effective to swing a fly on the lower where u can cover water better rather than up top.

· Registered
224 Posts
young gun said:
water on the upper is faster deeper stronger currents with more current seams rather than open runs, there are also many different current speeds in one run so keeping control of ur fly line is hard, its not a good way to cover the water and fish up higher, so its more effective to swing a fly on the lower where u can cover water better rather than up top.
Nothing a Type 8 wont fix. Its all about getting your fly in the zone and with the right tip you can. Its easier for begginers to fish the slower runs but if you know what your doing with the fly those runs that others pass by with the fly can be a fly guys dream. Learn to fish all types of water not just the easy stuff..

Also Wilson Road is a good spot. Lots of good spots in that area for the fly guy. I would name a few others but some might get bent out of shape ;)

· Registered
1,165 Posts
PumpingIron said:
young gun said:
Nothing a Type 8 wont fix. Its all about getting your fly in the zone and with the right tip you can. Its easier for begginers to fish the slower runs but if you know what your doing with the fly those runs that others pass by with the fly can be a fly guys dream. Learn to fish all types of water not just the easy stuff..

Also Wilson Road is a good spot. Lots of good spots in that area for the fly guy. I would name a few others but some might get bent out of shape ;)
:-X :naughty: LOL

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.