BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read a post that referred to someone being "lowholed" on the Vedder and it got me thinking about how I feel about this and what other people might think. Here's my position:
On the Vedder in the fall almost no ones moves. I realize that rotational angling is the proper way to go on most rivers, but that only works if the vast majority of people are actually moving downstream. That is not the usual procedure on the Vedder. I don't think that there is any problem with it or any reason to get upset about it if that is what the vast majority of anglers choose to do on this particular flow. If I'm working the river and moving downstream, I usually politely ask someone if I can work by them if they are staying still. If they say no, then I simply curse them under my breath, walk a 50 metres, then start fishing again. :)
In my opinion, anyone who stays in one spot for more than 10 minutes has no right to get upset about being "lowholed." If they wanted to work the river downstream of them then they should have walked through it. I don't think that anyone has the right to lay claim to a whole run for an unlimited amount of time.

What do you guys think?

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
The fence posters...love those guys...the only time i fish the Vedder is in winter and do i ask if i can work downstream of a fence poster? H-ll no! I catch fish cause i keep my feet moving and cover a H-ll of alot of water,thats why i get a kick out of the Fence poster standing in one spot all day long,what a waste of a fishing trip!

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
You are absolutely right and at this time of year all levels of etiquette awareness will exist. Not that it is nessesarily wrong
but most folks will have varying opinions on this matter esspecially in what is now so accessable to the masses. Once the
pressure subsides and the season winds down a more orderly fashion will be the norm. The same situations can occure
with less urgency on a desired responce allowing for a more palletable experience we have come to know as steelheading.

Enjoy Marko

·
Registered
10 Posts
i couldnt agree more..cover as much ground as you can.not only will you catch more fish but keep warm and in shape in the cold winter months...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I find that the fall fishing on the vedder is quite a gong show a lot of the times but depending on the locations you can find 25 crazies fighting over 50 feet of water or you can find gorgeous runs all to yourself. but it only happens when you walk!

I agree 100% with dennis, if someone is camped out in one spot, and not moving, I dont feel horrible about walking right on past him, he can keep his/her spot.

And if nobody is rotating on a stretch, then there really is no lowholing.

Jon

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I recently read a post that referred to someone being "lowholed" on the Vedder and it got me thinking about how I feel about this and what other people might think.
In defence of that poster, I believe he got lowholed as a result of that guy walking into the run and directly in front of him. Whether he was "fence-posting" or not, it is not respectful for him to have instantly moved ahead of said poster, especially without asking. In that respect, he had every right to be upset for being lowholed.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Okay what about moving in on a guy who has just caught a fish because "that's where the fish are". That is my no 2 peeve on the water this time of year. As far as low holeing, yeah that can be a pain in the butt, if you are working the water. As far as fence posting that seems kinda vague area. If I am on to holding fish, my roe color is right depth is set and the fish are on that means I have to move on down. What about working different presentations through the run. Had it happen last year hook into a fish in water you had by yourself, then BAM a guy on each side of you with in minutes, and it's syncronized drifting from there. If there is the respect and politeness to ask" hey bud can I work through", giver no worries. If you come running down and set up while I have a fish on less than a rods length away I may become a dink. Hell we had it happen week before last, two of us working a run, lots of logs and crap in the water, Walt hooks and lands a little spring jack and releases it, then bam two guys come down from the run above and start firing thier 1/0 , beads and 4 ft leaders. Guys the water you were in was great the water below is great, why do you have to fish 5 ft away from us. I don't want to sound like a ******* who bulldogs his way into a crowded run and sets up camp. I dont like working water where there are crowds and more than often will fish the smaller pocket water where the masses don't go. Nahh I think crowding out guys is more of a problem, not respecting ones space, and the use of improper gear is a larger issue in the backyard this time of year.
Just my two cents take it any way you want.
CD

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay what about moving in on a guy who has just caught a fish because "that's where the fish are". That is my no 2 peeve on the water this time of year. As far as low holeing, yeah that can be a pain in the butt, if you are working the water. As far as fence posting that seems kinda vague area. If I am on to holding fish, my roe color is right depth is set and the fish are on that means I have to move on down. What about working different presentations through the run. Had it happen last year hook into a fish in water you had by yourself, then BAM a guy on each side of you with in minutes, and it's syncronized drifting from there. If there is the respect and politeness to ask" hey bud can I work through", giver no worries. If you come running down and set up while I have a fish on less than a rods length away I may become a dink. Hell we had it happen week before last, two of us working a run, lots of logs and crap in the water, Walt hooks and lands a little spring jack and releases it, then bam two guys come down from the run above and start firing thier 1/0 , beads and 4 ft leaders. Guys the water you were in was great the water below is great, why do you have to fish 5 ft away from us. I don't want to sound like a ******* who bulldogs his way into a crowded run and sets up camp. I dont like working water where there are crowds and more than often will fish the smaller pocket water where the masses don't go. Nahh I think crowding out guys is more of a problem, not respecting ones space, and the use of improper gear is a larger issue in the backyard this time of year.
Just my two cents take it any way you want.
CD
Great point. That is super-annoying. No one usually gets within 20 feet of me though because of the risk of ending up with a weighted fly in their neck. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vedder etiquette is an oxymoron
I don't agree at all. I think that the vast majority of people out on the river are respectful, and sometimes even personable. That said, there are some dinks, and we tend to remember the one jerk we came across rather than the 10 friendly anglers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If someone lowhole's me, butt's in etc. etc . I just shake my head and move on to another spot on the river. When I drive there from Richmond, I want to enjoy myself, stress free, and if i catch a fish...BONUS for me!! I'd rather have a spot to myself, so to speak, rather than do the sardine can thing.I usually walk all day so I rarely come across this problem anyway. If I do happen to move down from someone I always ask their intentions {common courtesy IMO}and make sure I'm a good ways away before I start to fish again. Like I said , it's all about enjoyment of being outdoors, rather than getting my limit. Everybody's different I guess, but that's what i do.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Again, the closer the river is to a densely populated area, the more anglers you will have and that alone means more inconsiderate and or inexperienced people. Try lowholing or beaking on the Thompson in November and you'll find out soon enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Again, the closer the river is to a densely populated area, the more anglers you will have and that alone means more inconsiderate and or inexperienced people. Try lowholing or beaking on the Thompson in November and you'll find out soon enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With that being said, some of the guys up there think people are doing wrong , even if they start fishing 500 yards down river from them. In this case their the ones who think they own the river, hate to say it but mostly spey guys. To me their just delusional idiots who think their the God of the bloody river and need to be taught a lesson in etiquette themselves.

Lots of big ego's up there, mostly just fat heads.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Geez, I'm glad I havn't had the chance to practice with my Spey rod. I took a couple of lessons and was eager to practice on the river but I might get labeled an idiot. Well there are a few members of a couple of well known clubs around that definitely have a certain way of doing things but I wouldn't go so far as to paint all with the same brush. But that might be a great discussion for another thread!

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
This whole topic is about courtesy and respect. Cooler heads will always prevail no matter what but there will be challenges
in any situation or time of year regarding conduct. What we take and project reflects on everyone around us. If we would
like to see a more enjoyable experience we need to look no further then right infront of ourselves.

Cheers Marko

·
Registered
57 Posts
With that being said, some of the guys up there think people are doing wrong , even if they start fishing 500 yards down river from them. In this case their the ones who think they own the river, hate to say it but mostly spey guys. To me their just delusional idiots who think their the God of the bloody river and need to be taught a lesson in etiquette themselves.

Lots of big ego's up there, mostly just fat heads.
Thats not cool. I fish a double hander, and I dont think I own anything. To lump all people of one type and label them is BS. Maybe you could enlighten "us all"

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This thread is about the Vedder. If you want to argue about something only loosely related to this topic, please start your own thread.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I didn't mean all of them , I said mostly, and in fact have had this happen to me. I assure you, not all spey fishermen are like that, it's just what I've came across personally. I apologize to you spey fishers, sorry. Now back to the Vedder etiquette.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The other day, me and another guy on this forum were fishing a spot on the Vedder, we had a guy above us that was fishing a pin. We we're courteous and made sure we didn't tangle him up as he was first to the spot. We we're all "fence posting", but that was OK because we we're in the lower river waiting for the salmon to swim past us.

A couple of minutes after hooking into a spring, a few guys came charging up to our spot and asked us how we we're doing. I told them the spot sucked and we didn't hook anything. I'm sure they just watched me hook into and lose the spring, so they probably knew I was lying through my teeth. They continued to walk upstream to find another spot and we didn't see them again that day.

You want to b*tch and complain about fishing in crowds, go ahead. Don't expect a lot of sympathy though if your fishing easily accessible places.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts