BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the quest for my first Steelhead continued today. I made arrangements to meet up with Britguy at Cottonwoods at 8:30 this morning. Headed out in the dark here in Coquitlam and drove towards the brightening sky, with the knowledge that today might be the day. I got to KWB at about 8:15 and it was packed. About 10 or 12 cars there already. As I pulled of the road and onto the dike, I almost ran over HOOK, just packing up (I stopped myself in time though :happy:). We chatted for a minute, gthen I drove under the bridge (giving a honk and a wave to Nice_One as well) and headed down towards the gravel pit. About 3/4 the way there I spotted Britguy hiking along the dike. He didn't realize he could drive down.
Shortly I was geared up and we headed to the river. They day was overcast, but quite bright and the water was low and clear. We hit the Cottonwoods ands there was no one there. The river to our selves. We took our time and worked our way through the run, Britguy going first. I was about 3/4r of the way through when BG finished and headed up to the top of the run again. I continued on. I could feel my fly ticking the bottom occasionally, so I figured I must be in the right zone, when there came a SLAM on my fly! I wish there was more to tell, but that was it. 2 minutes after that, Hook, Nice_One and a couple of their buddies joined us. We spread ourselves along the run and spent the next hour or so fishing , but no love for anyone. I guess it was around noon, Hook had to head back to work, and BG and I figured that lunch was in order, so off to the Jolly Miller we went. After a good lunch and a pint, we headed back out to see if our luck would improve. We headed to Wayfields ??? (the first path in past the red metal roofed house). Once again we hit a prime fly run and no one in sight. We worked the whole run without a sniff. BG decided that the day was done and had to get back to town, so we walked back to the vehicles. He headed home, I figured I'd give the train bridge a look. When I got there, a truck was just leaving. The guy had just landed about a 12 lb'er and was done for the day. I drove right to the end of the road and the only vehicle ther wa a truck parked on the bar. I chatted to the guy fishing there. He had damaged his back, so couldn't walk far, stand or sit for any length of time, so he was BB'ing and just wedging his rod handle into the stake hole (is that what they are called) of his pickup and moving around to ease his back. I fished for about 45 minutes, again with no hits and called it a day at about 4:30. As I was leaving another guy showed up, but that was it for company. By 4:00 the clouds had run away and the sun was warm and welcome. The day didn't turn out the way I had hoped it would at the outset, but it was still a great day. It was good finally meet Britguy and get to know him a bit, and was good to see Hook and Nice_One on the water (for awhile, we had a BCFR mini-fishout going there).

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
ya it was definately a good day out there. nice to meet you Nice_One and finally meet you Prof. nice to see you again Britguy :thumbup: its a shame none of us tagged anything. I also had a bump first thing in the morning down in the canal but that was it, they sure hit quick :confused:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ya good to finally meet ya HOOK! That was a pretty fun day with the great weather. My right arm's a little sore today to say the least LOL. I think a spey setup is in my future!

Good to meet you as well Britguy.

Prof: Sorry I didn't get to say a real hello...my bad! Next time :thumbup:

It was a pleasure to share the water with you gentlemen...

Cheers!

-Nathan in NW

ps. HOOK: My friend Jeremy found my Leatherman at his house! I could have sworn I had it with me at the river! Geez! LOL

·
Registered
901 Posts
Well it was agreat day out for me
first day of the year with the fly rod and i got
to share the day with Professori (such a gent)
That was a great strech of water we fished was sure we would get something
Thanks for letting me hit the water first
Nice to see Hook again and to meet Nice_one and his buddy
hope to see you guys out there again soon
Just need to kick this damn cold

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.