BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I managed to get the day off and decided to make the best of it. Since my big catch back in October 2007 (a beautiful doe we named Emily :beerchug:) I've hardly had the chance to break out the rod and reel. Now that we're settling in a bit more with the little girl, I got my first chance to hit the river for 2008. I can tell you one thing...getting up at the crack of dawn was not in the cards! I managed to drag myself out of bed just after 7:15 AM and hit the road close to 8 AM. Arrived at the river at around 9:30. I decided to try mid river for a start.

The water was in great shape. Low and a bit coloured. The wind, however, was not so good - blowing my presentation (literally). I started off with steelhead roe from last year. No takers. One guy was fishing below me and he hooked and lost a nice steelie right at the shore. This elderly gentleman was not pleased at his LDR - but I was glad to see some action. Soon after, another guy moved in right below me (I think "corked" is the word). After a short while, both gentlemen left and I was alone on the run...

After trying some roe and wool, I switched up to a pink worm. Across the river there was a soft bit of water with some cover. Hmmm. I made my cast and tried to drift through - but the wind kept ruining the presentation. Finally there was a break in the wind and I made my cast. The float disappeared and the rod came alive. A beautiful chrome fish came jumping out of the water with a 4 inch pink worm dangling out of his mouth! I managed to land the fish and snap a few photos while keeping him in the water...

Seconds after the photos were taken, he took off like a torpedo and was gone. Being rather pleased with myself, I decided to warm up with a coffee and hit the lower river. The water down below was in nice shape. But the wind was just too much! I decided to call it a day and beat the rush hour traffic back to Vancouver.

All in all, it was a good day on the water. Ran into a couple of anglers and chatted for a while. One of them was "blade runner" (sorry - I'm not sure how to spell your handle) who shared some of his recent success (good job). Anyway, good luck out there and hopefully the wind will settle down!

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Flyfishin Magician said:
another guy moved in right below me (I think "corked" is the word).
Been there done that (itching to get out after a new born) :)
Congrats on being successful with your new limited alloted time.
Over on the rock here we don't call it corked...... we call it Vedder'd :happy:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I spent about 6 hours on the water today with nothing to show for it. However, I did get to see a guy catch two nice fish in ten minutes right beside me at the pool just below Lickman. One wild doe about 6 pounds (which he thankfully released) and one hatchery buck that was pushing 10 (which he bonked). Nice to know there was something being caught out there today. No one else I talked to had had a sniff.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Roughingminor said:
I spent about 6 hours on the water today with nothing to show for it. However, I did get to see a guy catch two nice fish in ten minutes right beside me at the pool just below Lickman. One wild doe about 6 pounds (which he thankfully released) and one hatchery buck that was pushing 10 (which he bonked). Nice to know there was something being caught out there today. No one else I talked to had had a sniff.
Was that you I talked to in the parking lot who gave me this same report? I was leaving Lickman on the yarrow side.

Anyways FF. A nice fish and I thought for sure I'd see a big fly hanging from its mouth. Holy [email protected]! it was windy out, eh?

Hotrod

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey FishFreak - yes, BlaydRunner did mention he knew you! He showed me the photo of a nice steelhead hen he released the other day.

Cheers FF - we should hook up sometime bud! And yes - I do have a bunch of stinger flies tied up. Maybe we should arrange a trip with ortho! Btw - it felt great to get out! The fish was sort of a bonus (a nice one at that).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.