BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone

I have recently moved to Vancouver from Ireland. I would consider myself an experienced angler but it seems that the techniques used here, especially for salmon fishing are quite different so I suppose even after 15 yrs fishing back home I am in the newbie category.

I joined this forum a few month’s ago and have spent many many hrs reading and researching all of the various techniques.....flossing (very new to me), short floating, etc

I found all of the flossing discussions very entertaining at first simply because in Ireland we don’t have anywhere near the number of salmon in the runs so throwing a bouncing betty out into the river and hoping for the best would not work very well!!!!! I was shocked to see how effective it was on the Fraser during the sockeye fishery. I tried it a few times and after limiting out after less than an hour each time I realized it was the most unfulfilling fishing experience I have ever tried. I admit it was fun at first but after foul hooking a fish in the belly I decided enough was enough. Flossing goodbye....Short floating here I come!!!! I am still amazed by the amount of fish in the system here.....I luckily stumbled upon one of the best fisheries in the world!

So next up is the Vedder...I have walked many of the various "pools" along the Vedder in the off season to find some good spots to fish and again have done many hrs of research learning the SPORTING techniques to use and the correct etiquette while fishing the Vedder. I have also studied the various species Coho, Spring etc.

I have a few queries I would like some help with.....

Tomorrow will be my first fishing trip to the Vedder and I don’t intend joining the gong show and fishing the most common pools:

Is there any direction you could give to get some good fishing while avoiding the crowding? (I don’t want to wander into private property etc) I am not looking for "secret spots" just general direction.

Can you effectively short float with a spinning rod and reel? (River salmon fishing in Ireland involves using spinners etc so I have never used a bait caster).

I CnR 90% of all fish that I land and I understand that the best way to learn is to get out there!!!!! Just looking for useful info that might save some hardship out on the water.

Thanks for all your help!!!

PS
This forum has been an unbelievable resource for info as a newcomer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Fishing tackle shops like Fred's in Sardis have maps showing fishing spots on the Vedder River. If you do a search on here you might also find that same map. As far as fishing spots all of them will have some pressure from top to bottom, unless you are willing to do some walking.
You can use a spin caster to float fish, but with the colored water conditions due to the recent rains using spinners should be effective. Don't be discouraged by some of the things you see on the Vedder, as you will see all sorts ranging from the good to just plain downright ignorant types. If you can get out during the week, you will also avoid most of the weekend warriors that pack the river on the weekends.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can go to Freds tackle shop website ,where they have a river map under the fishing reports section, print it off or just stop by and get one for a buck. I still find that the farther away from the road is the least busiest as far as angling pressure is concerned. I hope you enjoy your time on the flow. Don't let the meat heads out there ruin your trip, I suggest going to the upper section, past the tamahi bridge and find a spot way far away from the road. This is just an idea, and may not be the best advice, so take it or leave it. Again enjoy your time out there. Week days are best !!

p.s. very pleased to hear that you are not flossing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Fishfever,

I think the best thing you can do is walk. walk walk walk walk. even on a busy crazy weekend, if you walk, you will not only find solitude, but many many fantastic fishing spots =) even if you park in the combative zones just walk up or down and you will find spots

Jon

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Fishfever

i agree with you popper, it's all about the walk 5-10 mins away from the high pressure and up pops a jem or two, all you need is good balance and a good pair of waders with felt bottom boots makes all the difference, felt is like velcro on the rocks. Good luck to you Fishfever the vedder is a great system to fish, always entertaining sometimes good ,sometimes questionable but always entertaining. This site is also a great way to meet people that know the flow, they are so full of amazing info, all you need to do is ask.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts